Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a Sony HD5 walkman which I use as an audio player and also as a removable hard disk. It's always worked fine up untill I had to do a repair install of Windows XP.

My other external drive works fine, but when I plug in the Sony it gets recognised, shows up in safely remove hardware but can not be seen or accessed as a drive from My Computer.

I tried to assign a drive letter to it via computer managment/storage/disk mangament where it also shows up. This works as a tempery solution in that, when I assign it a letter I can right click it there and choose to explore it. However that's hardly plug and play! Any ideas on how to get this working as it should?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the device and also the windows troubleshooter (you know, that's never solved a single problem for me! lol). Also the drive works fine on PC's in college and another PC I have.

Thanks in advance for any replies

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi htxt18

Any luck yet? If not, make sure to visit Windows Update & get up-to-date on all Critical Updates since the release of the XP CD you used to reinstall. This will refresh quite a few system files. Then try a Registry Cleaner, since you'll have a rather topsy-turvy jumble in parts of it. I like CCleaner for this sort of thing (It's free, it's tiny, it works --- http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10315544.html ). Then try your USB device situation again.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I did have all the updates installed as this is always one of my main priorities when installing Windows.

In the end I decided to back up all my stuff and do a fresh install of Windows. It was probably best anyway, as with a repair install things can get very messed around!

It's just the hassel of re-installing all of my software which put me off a fresh install :rolleyes: Luckily now I'm basically back to where I was, but this time with a working USB drive.

I'll keep CCleaner in mind in future, may come in handy.

Cheers :grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.