Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an nVidia 6600 PCIe card connected via DVI to a Westinghouse LTV-32w3 HDTV. The TV/Monitor has a resolution of 1366/768. When I try to set my resolution to anything above 1280/1024, the screen has about a 2 inch vertical line going down the left side of the display. If I set the resolution to 1280/1024, it is not there, but the display has black bars all the way around the usable desktop area. It is also worth noting that when I take my mouse to the far right of the screen, I can see the pointer on the left side of the screen. Its almost like the right edge is cut off, and has been placed on the left of the screen.

My drivers are up to date (as of today), and I have searched the Westinghouse website as well as nVidia's for answers, but cannot seem to come up with any.

I am running Win XP SP2 - with all current updates. I tried to take a screen shot, but it seems the imperfection will not show on a screen shot. So I took a picture.

I only took a picture of the left side, because there is no problem with the rest. As you can see....

Internet = Inet
E-mail = E-
Full Tilt Poker = FuPoker
And so on.

I have a feeling the answer lies somewhere within the advanced timing settings.... but I have no clue what to change, and what NOT to change..... which is why I thought I'd "ask the experts."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi jaycjayz,

Those small LCD TVs can be tricky with the 1366 x 768 resolution. But the nVidia 6 series cards had the ability to add custom resolutions. I suspect setting the correct resolution will fix it. Right click on the desktop to bring up the display settings:

Right Click > Properties > Settings tab > Advanced > GeForce 6600 > Screen Resolutions and Refresh rates > (under Custom resolutions and refresh rates) Add

Once you are here, put in 1366 for the width, 768 for the length, 32 bit for the color depth, and 60 Hertz for the refresh rate (DO NOT select any refresh rate higher than 60 Hz, as you will damage the TV!). Click OK. Now this should appear as a selectable resolution. If not, uncheck Hide modes this monitor cannot display. Once you select this resolution, it should work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, its not really that small. Its a 32 inch screen. When I added the 1366/768 resolution and tried to set it, it went to a black screen meaning its out of range for my monitor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what does the maual for the monitor recommend for the resolution,the ones i have been looking at lately have 2 recommendations listed
Well, this is a typed quote of what the manual says:
If connecting to a computer:
For the best picture quality set PC timing mode to VESA 1366x768 at 60Hz. Refer to your computers graphic card user guide for questions on how to set this timing mode. Many computers show 1360x768 as an alternative resolution.

Then, in the Appendix, this is what I have found:
PC Compatible
Recommended: 1360x768 @ 60Hz
Supported: 1024x768 @ 60,75Hz
1280x720 @ 60,75Hz
800x600 @ 60,75Hz
640x480 @ 60,75Hz

I find this a little odd because anywhere you look for information on this monitor (the box, the rest of the manual, the product information card in the store, etc) you ALWAYS see the resolution being 1366/768.

So with that being said, I did some tests.

1360/768 = black bar as seen in picture below
1366/768 = black screen meaning signal is out of range
1280/720 = black bars all around the screen (like a matted picture frame)

Then I played with overscan compensation. I tried the 1360/768 and it worked......becuase it reset my resolution to a lower setting. So I tried it with the 1280/720. Set it to Native. It stretched the desktop to the entire usable area, which is an improvement. However, being this is a large monitor and the resolution is low.....everything is HUGE.

Think of it like this. Imagine having a 17in monitor and setting your resolution to 640/480. Thats how everything looks on this monitor. I know 1360/768 isnt going to be a drastic improvement, but it has to be at least a little better....

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Greetings jaycjayz,

dai asked me to have a look at your particular issue.
I am currently using a HD LCD TV as a monitor,as a temporary measure whilst my proper LCD Monitor is being repaired/replaced under warranty.
With the HD LCD TV, I found that the resolution combinations are very much 'hit and miss'. :grin:

Then, in the Appendix, this is what I have found:
PC Compatible
Recommended: 1360x768 @ 60Hz
Supported: 1024x768 @ 60,75Hz
1280x720 @ 60,75Hz
800x600 @ 60,75Hz
640x480 @ 60,75Hz
You have discovered that although the "Recommended" resolution rate is stated as "1360x768 @ 60Hz", you will not for some reason be able to achieve this configuration.
I tried for hours doing much the same as you have, and finally concluded that the "Supported" configurations are the only ones available, and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to put up with the "huge" displayed icons.
The most acceptable resolution combination I found is 1024x768 @ 60Hz, with a little 'flicker' occasionally; which I have accepted, as it is only a temporary measure.

TheMatt gave you the only other possible workaround that I know of as well!
The only difference between your situation and mine is that my TV is a LG™ and yours a Westinghouse™.
Having said that, I suggest that perhaps a telephone call to Westinghouse™ Technical Support might shed some light on the situation.
I sincerely apologise for not being able to give you a 'miracle cure' for your problem.

Kind Regards, :4-cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings jaycjayz,

dai asked me to have a look at your particular issue.
I am currently using a HD LCD TV as a monitor,as a temporary measure whilst my proper LCD Monitor is being repaired/replaced under warranty.
With the HD LCD TV, I found that the resolution combinations are very much 'hit and miss'. :grin:

You have discovered that although the "Recommended" resolution rate is stated as "1360x768 @ 60Hz", you will not for some reason be able to achieve this configuration.
I tried for hours doing much the same as you have, and finally concluded that the "Supported" configurations are the only ones available, and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to put up with the "huge" displayed icons.
The most acceptable resolution combination I found is 1024x768 @ 60Hz, with a little 'flicker' occasionally; which I have accepted, as it is only a temporary measure.

TheMatt gave you the only other possible workaround that I know of as well!
The only difference between your situation and mine is that my TV is a LG™ and yours a Westinghouse™.
Having said that, I suggest that perhaps a telephone call to Westinghouse™ Technical Support might shed some light on the situation.
I sincerely apologise for not being able to give you a 'miracle cure' for your problem.

Kind Regards, :4-cheers:

I appreciate your efforts. I guess its just not going to happen at the highest "possible" resolution. I am going to call the tech support number for my video card, and see if they can help. If that doesnt work, I could always just go back to my older, smaller LCD....but the whole idea of getting this TV was that I would be able to get rid of the 25 inch TV I was using, as well as the flat panel monitor I was using.

I do have one question though.....did you have the same exact problem that I am having?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting bit of information I just picked up:

"The maximum resolution of a LCD TV Monitor using a DVI connection is 1280x1024."

This information came straight from PNY Tech Support.

So now this leads to the question of:

Would I be able to acheive the max resolution if I were to switch to a VGA cable?

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts

"The maximum resolution of a LCD TV Monitor using a DVI connection is 1280x1024."

Would I be able to acheive the max resolution if I were to switch to a VGA cable?

Sorry,
I neglected to say that I was using a VGA cable...so perhaps it might just work with your set. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

The max resolution of a DVI-D Single Link is 1280 x 1024. I believe the max resolution of a DVI-D Dual Link is 1600 x 1200 I believe. Go to your local electronics store like radioshack and pick up a DVI-D Dual Link cable. A You could also try VGA, that should give you 1600 x 1200. But for a long term solution I would personally pick up the DVI cable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The max resolution of a DVI-D Single Link is 1280 x 1024. I believe the max resolution of a DVI-D Dual Link is 1600 x 1200 I believe. Go to your local electronics store like radioshack and pick up a DVI-D Dual Link cable. A You could also try VGA, that should give you 1600 x 1200. But for a long term solution I would personally pick up the DVI cable.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea there were more than one type of DVI cable....which is a little naive considering just how many types of DVD media there is out there.

However, I did a little research, and the max resolution for the DVI-D Dual Link Cable is 2048 x 1536.

I am not trying to one-up you.....just thought you may want to know.

I am ordering my cable today.....I will post back here once I have rec'd and tested.

Thanks so much for everyones help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got a new cable. Its been a while since the last post because I decided to try and save money by ordering a DVI-D Dual Link cable from eBay.....BAD IDEA. The cable finally arrived, and my picture looked like a bad acid trip.

Went to CompUSA, and bought a cable yesterday. However, even with the DVI-D Dual Link, I am having the same problems.

I decided to update my firmware, and now I cannot even enter my custom resolution (1366x768). When I attempt to do this, it says that it's an "invalid resolution."

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sadly....no.

I guess I will end up just hooking back up my old monitor. Its only a 15 in, but at least its not blinding...

I really appreciate everyones help.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would still be willing to listen.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
So you have it at 1360 x 768 right now, is that correct? Does this TV have a VGA input? Have you tried that? 1360 x 768 is pretty close, but stuff will be big just because that is a low resolution for such a large screen relative to a computer monitor. You can reduce the DPI, but text will be harder to read if you do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, right now I have it set at 1168x664. Its at that resolution because when I selected 1360x768 and clicked "underscan", thats what it defaults to - which is weird, because before I upgaded the drivers, it defaulted to 1280x720 and had black bars around the screen (which I like better than my current option.) Ever since I upgraded the drivers it changed that, and also took away my ability to add the custom resolution of 1366x768. If I set it to 1360x768 it has the black bar on the left of the screen.

Im thinking about completely removing the drivers, and clearing all the entries in the registry and re-installing. Maybe that will make a difference....maybe not.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.