Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After re-installing a friends xp operating system, have you noticed always friends computers that cause a problem, i couldn't get the internet working. I checked all the relavent settings and they are ok. I know the internet is working as the other computers connect no problem. The error it is giving is the dreaded yellow triangle with limited or no connectivity. So i went to device manager to see the big yellow question mark under network controller drivers. Under network adapters i have VIA Rhine ii fast ethernet adapter and next in the list was ethernet controller as an unknown device. After using the device ID on windows and checking that on the internet, the driver i was missing was Encore fast ethernet adapter. After installing this i had got rid of the unknown driver and have 2 drivers under network adapter. When using the encore driver my error message is cable unplugged, which of course it isn't and the error using my original driver is the same. The computer appears to be a made up one with no manufactures markings. Can any one help me. Please remember i can not connect to the internet via this computer but do have access with my laptop if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: problem with network adapters

i had already done that and the problem persisted, and have updated the drivers for the ethernet. When using the driver for the network adapter that xp installed (VIA rhine ii), that is when i get the ethernet controller missing. driver error. IS there another driver i can install which won't create this problem. As i said when installing the different driver using the properties, details then driver id tag and checking this on the net, it gets rid of the unknown driver problem but doesn't even recognise that the ethernet cable is plugged in.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
Re: problem with network adapters

are you connecting through a router
have you tried another cable
checked the ip's are entered correctly
i will move you over to networking as it seems more to do with the setup than the drivers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Connected into modem and everything is working ok as the other computers work no problem. I did exaclty the same install on another computer and connected straight to the internet, which is why i suspect it is a problem with drivers rather than set up.

Especially because there is a unknown driver issue even after installing the mother board drivers. Using windows VIA compatible driver i get an issue and also after installing the supplied driver same issue, no connection and missing network controller driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.