Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm new to this forum (first post) but I'm really really hoping you can help :)

I've built my own website, and have loaded some music clips up in both .wma fomat and RealOne format. Everything seems to be going really great except for one thing:- when I go to the live site and access either of these file types using IE, they work fine (Windows media player 9 starts for the .wma files, and RealOne player starts for the RealOne files) - great.

However, when I access the site using Netscape 7.1 (which happens to be the one I personally use in the main), the RealOne files play fine, however the .wma files DONT play at all - they just display a white page full of loads of junk characters. Theres is no error message - it just says 'done' at the bottom of the screen. My first thought was 'aha' Netscape doesn't cause the Windows Media player to initiate properly, but when I use Netscape to access .wma files from others sites, hey presto everything works fine!!

I've racked my brains and can't think why the .wma files won't work with Netscape, on my site alone. I've spoken to my web provider, who says that if they work ok with IE, then it can't possibly be a problem with their servers...it must be a browser problem. However, I know (as I've already said repeatedly )(sorry!!)) that my Netsapce browser works ok with other sites on.wma files!

Could I make some small change in my HTML code, for example, that would enable Windows Media player to open properly for me (and presumably therefore for other) Netscape users who may be having the same problem as me

Many thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide

thanks, Wendy

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TSF damselindistres.......................:D

I myself haven't used Netscape in over five years, So I wouldn't know what to tell you. As far as I know I don't really think there are as many users of Netscape as there used to be before AOL got involved...........:mad:

So I thought I would reply to at least let you know that your not being ignored. Hopefully someone who has had this problem with Netscape will come along and help you out................Cheers..:winkgrin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Speedo - appreciate your words of encouragement!!!!

Anybody else able to comment on why my browser would (or could) turn a .wma file into a page of gobbledygook??

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I suspect that it's a file association issue. IE has a "helper" that directs WMA files to either it's internal player or WMP, I'm not sure what Netscape does.

FWIW, speedo is correct about AOL. I used to like Netscape, but when AOL bought them, I dropped it like a hot rock, and I'm glad I did! Now it comes with lots of stupid links to AOL, and who knows what else. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.