Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
all was well when suddenly my computer restart by himself saying to me that i haven't a hard drive installed. The BIOS didn't recognized my hard drive. Nevertheless, sometimes he did but blue screens appeared saying that there were 0x07a or 0x08e errors.
I decided to reinstall Win XP Pro, difficult operation but even if finally i succeed, the problem remained. I type chkdsk on the recovery console but it say to me that my disk have some unrecoverable errors. Moreover the thing which is wird is that my system goes slow, my cpu run at 1050 instead of 1400Mhz, my ddr 200 instead of 266. My hard drive make a lot of noise and when the BIOS detect him, he only measures 30Go instead of 40Go. I think he's dead...
Why do you think about that?
My purpose is now to recover the data so i put it in slavewith another hd but it's the same problem. He only measures 30Go and all he contains is unreadable.
I need to recover my data. Someone can help me? Is my hd dead?
Thanks.
 

·
TSF Enthusiast
Joined
·
6,298 Posts
Have you tried swapping that hard drive into a different computer (setting your first drive up as slave, of course)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
For one thing, you never get BLUE DEATH in XP Pro dude. You get bad CONFIG Line, then it goes into; cant find NTLDR try recovery console. So who are you trying to fool?:upset:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
smjsky said:
For one thing, you never get BLUE DEATH in XP Pro dude. You get bad CONFIG Line, then it goes into; cant find NTLDR try recovery console. So who are you trying to fool?:upset: [/QUOT

Only program to ever crash XP was MSN Messenger Upgrade. Believe me I have tried. It is the most reliable op sys that Billy Boy ever put out. Problem is, is that when you do crash it is unrecoverable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
smjsky said:
smjsky said:
For one thing, you never get BLUE DEATH in XP Pro dude. You get bad CONFIG Line, then it goes into; cant find NTLDR try recovery console. So who are you trying to fool?:upset: [/QUOT

Only program to ever crash XP was MSN Messenger Upgrade. Believe me I have tried. It is the most reliable op sys that Billy Boy ever put out. Problem is, is that when you do crash it is unrecoverable.
Speaking entirely from a home user point of veiw of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I try to put my defectuous hard drive in a master position into an another computer but the same problem happens.
The BIOS did not recognized the hard drive. For the question system, i will try tonight. I don't know if the other system goes slow too.
An another problem has appeared. When i put my other hd which is safe into my defectuous computer, the system start but reboot suddenly at the welcome screen.

And i am not trying to fool anyone, smjsky, really.
 

·
TSF Enthusiast
Joined
·
6,298 Posts
codax said:
I try to put my defectuous hard drive in a master position into an another computer but the same problem happens.
The BIOS did not recognized the hard drive. For the question system, i will try tonight. I don't know if the other system goes slow too.
An another problem has appeared. When i put my other hd which is safe into my defectuous computer, the system start but reboot suddenly at the welcome screen.

And i am not trying to fool anyone, smjsky, really.
I meant to set up the faulty drive as slave and keep the other one master so you can have the good one boot up.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If the bios won't recognize the drive the the prognosis is not a very good one.

Take the drive out and turn it upside-down and see if there are any burn marks near any of the chips.
 

·
TSF Team Emeritus
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
hmm

i have a pc here that wont allow its hard disk to be set as master, if you do, it cant find it.

so i had to set the cd-rom as master, and set the hard disk as slave.

that way it boots just fine.

so before you throw it away try it in both positions.

~BoB~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Must be your jumpers, you can set on either hardrive or cdrom. They have a jumper setting ( master, slave or auto or somethng like that) (I am not going to rip apart my node to look at it right at this moment)or go dig around in my bad hardrives to find it). I would definately check the jumper settings on both. In CMOS set to auto. This should auto detect the drive unless you are running a system that does not recognize a hardrive over 8g. Then you have an entirely different problem. Must know the system you are using in order to answer the question properly.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top