Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for a company and we've been having an ongoing issue with the way new browser Windows are popping up. When a user clicks on a shortcut they have on their desktop, it pops up in a window behind the active window. It hasn't been a real major issue, just more of a nuissance than anything else.

Myself and a few other people have been doing some searching and can't find anything on the subject. I tried doing a search on these forums, but was getting an error message. I've tried playing with the different settings within IE6 but haven't been able to fix anything. Is there some magic setting that we're all missing? The strange thing is that it works fine for some people and others it doesn't.

All of the users that are having this issue are using IE6 on Windows XP Pros SP 3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention in my original posting that I did try resetting IE 6, but it didn't change anything. I included a couple screen shots to help illustrate what is happening.

What I did in the "New browser behind" jpg was I clicked the IE icon on the desktop to open IE. Then I clicked on the google shortcut. The screenshot shows how the windows are popping up. In the "normal layout" jpg I clicked on the IE icon on the desktop to open both windows, and this time the second window opened in front.

Hopefully this info helps if it seemed confusing before.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some more testing on this. I reset the person's profile just to test and see if there were some files there that were affecting it. Resetting the profile didn't change anything.

I also tried logging other users with different levels of privileges to see if that would make a difference. I logged on another user and got the same issue. I tried logging on with an account that had administrative privileges and the pages popped up like they should. I thought this was kind of strange, so I tried logging into the PC as myself (I also have administrative privileges) but I ended up with the same problem as the original users. I have no idea what's causing this to happen. Does anyone have any ideas at all?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the delay, I've been out of the office the last week (everyone needs a vacation every now and then:smile:). Thanks for the reply. All the users that I tested this on were all set to open pages with a double mouse click. I did try changing this to have items open with a single click to see if that would reset something, but it didn't.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with a registry setting someplace. It's the only thing that I can think of that could be an issue because not all users have the problem and even when I login with full local administrative rights, I have the same problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.