Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, recently I upgraded my pc so I could play the latest games at a decent fps. My specs are....3000+ venice athlon 64, gforce 6800, 512ddr ram. As soon as I try to install the drivers for the 6800 the computer freezes. I know that the 6800gt and the 6800ultra both need a power cable from the main PSU, but can this be said for the basic 6800? As I bought the card of ebay, I have no manual and it did not come with a cable. I have looked at the card, and I cannot find a place where a power cable can be plugged in, so I am asuming that the card does not require one. Any ideas? :4-dontkno

Also, when the computer crashes, it sounds like the fans 'power down', so it could be something to do with the power supply, but I'm pretty sure that a 400w PSU is alright for the card?

Thanks,

Joe.

P

·
0 Posts
Required PSU spec : Minimum 300W PSU so we shouldnt be worrying about this unless your power supply is not in a good condition.

If you had to connect a power cable to your video card i am %100 confident that you would not have missed it. I ll post back if i come across with a valuable info.

Pls post the model number or serial number of your card. It might help searching.

Do you have a cd came with your card ?

Meanwhile please uninstall/reinstall your drivers.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
What video card did you have?
Sometimes it is best to uninstall and or disable the previous card before you shut the system down for the installation of the new card. Then when you startup with the new card windows finds new hardware and you install the drivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies. The computer crashes when the card is 'activated', ie when I am installing the drivers. It seems that when the graphics switch to the 6800, it dies. It dosent matter with set of drivers I use, it still freezes. I'm begining to think it got damaged in the post! :sad:

I don't have a CD, as the card just came on it's own. If this helps, here is the listing from eBay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6816426323&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Also, next to my PCI-E slot, there is a green slot, about an inch long. Is this supposed to be used for anything?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joe588 said:
Thanks for the quick replies. The computer crashes when the card is 'activated', ie when I am installing the drivers. It seems that when the graphics switch to the 6800, it dies. It dosent matter with set of drivers I use, it still freezes. I'm begining to think it got damaged in the post! :sad:

I don't have a CD, as the card just came on it's own. If this helps, here is the listing from eBay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6816426323&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Here is the serial number for the card - CN-0M7803-69702-4BB-2733

·
Registered
36 Posts
You need a molex connector connected to the graphics card! (most likely)

Do you use AGP or PCI-Express?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It does not require a separate power source, it gets it's power from the PCI slot.
Quote:
"Thanks to their slower graphics core and memory (and reduced number of pipelines), PCI Express GeForce 6800 cards don’t require an external power source for operation."
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_nx6800/page2.asp
Yours looks like an EVGA brand card. Try their website for a PDF manual.

When you removed the old drivers, did you run driver cleaner or cab cleaner in safe mode first? before installing new drivers? It's a good idea to, to remove old "leftovers" from old set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.