Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mozilla Firefox will not open, and that's my main browser. All I get is a blank page. I'm running Windows 10, have run anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-malware. Nothing out of the ordinary from them. One thing I remember before this happened, was I had finished the AVG free trial and turned down the offer to subscribe, but I doubt AVG did something to cause this. PC is also experiencing a lot of lag. Thought maybe it was the modem, so had the cable company come out, and the modem is putting out a good, strong signal. Currently using Edge as a browser, as it will open, but it is slow, like I'm on dial-up. Problem is somewhere in the PC. Anyone have any ideas?

· Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case you've been wondering where I've been, I've been trying to download that AVG tool. When I finally got it downloaded and installed, seemed like it took forever, I couldn't get it to run. A couple more things, I see "waiting for cache" quite often, and when I try to open Firefox, this msg will pop up "Mozilla Firefox is not responding". I'm just about ready to take this thing out in the back yard and blow it away.

Thanks for the tip Corday, wish it had worked.

· Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've ran into the same problem trying to download and install the latest FF. I can't. Whatever it is, it seems to be having an effect on everything. Meanwhile, I'll keep trying to install FF.

If I shut the PC down, it wants to take it's time when I start it back up. I have to use the on/off button, on the PC, instead of the power on/off in the start window. BTW, the mouse cursor seems to have a life of it's own from time to time as well.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,796 Posts
Make sure you're not in the middle of a Windows Update. If not, run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth then sfc /scannow

· Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Corday, I thank you for your advice, but I'm frustrated with this PC. I have downloaded your suggestions, but I can't run them once they're downloaded. And the lag. It only took a bit over an hour to log on this morning. I think I'm gonna replace it, as it was built around 10 years ago, so it is out of date and now out of shape.

I am not a heavy gamer, but play some from time to time. Waiting on Half-Life 3, ha, ha. Mostly web surf, youtube, and look for info on things that interest me. I saw this one at Newegg. Is it worthwhile? Shoot, I can't even copy and paste now, so here's the model number: Acer Nitro 50 N50-600-UR1I. Anybody else can opine as well.

33,796 Posts
Components are in short supply. If you can wait till early 2021 a lot more will be available.

· Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't posted on this for awhile, but I was able to run CCleaner and ran the PC Health Check and it fixed a few things, including I can copy and paste again. Other than that, still stuck with using Edge.

Now as to a new PC, I ran across this at Best Buy, of all places: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-xt-1tb-hdd-500gb-ssd/6400451.p?skuId=6400451. I realize this is not top of the line, and doesn't have an optical drive. However, I've noticed the vast majority of computers do not have an optical drive, so I guess an external drive will have to be used. BTW, what Nvidea card does the Radeon video correspond to?

Thanks

33,796 Posts
Note that you have 3 video card choices. As a sometimes gamer you might save quite a bit by not opting for the RX5600 XT. That one compares somewhat to the GTX 1650 of which there are a few different ones so you also have to compare specs of nVidia and Radeon.

Reactions: bruiser

· Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Corday. Best Buy, for some reason did not have any of those PCs, when they were on sale. Now, they seem to have them at regular price. No thanks. However, I did find this one at Newegg:Are you a human? I was a little leery about this, as previous reviews didn't rate ABS very well. Then I found out Newegg is now the owner of ABS, and my experience with Newegg has been very good. Looks like a lot of good stuff at a good price. I do question what kind of PSU it has.

33,796 Posts
Seems to be a Corsair but you'd have to call and wait an hour just to get the info. At 60FPS not a great gaming machine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.