Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm not sure if this should be in this forum or the driver forum so please move it if necessary.

I just got a computer off my brother that is honestly a little screwed up.I'm planning on doing a factory restore on it to fix the problems and use it as a desktop for my house, the problem is that the DVD drive doesn't work and I can't seem to get anywhere on fixing it. He has numerous spyware/adware cleaners and registry fixers and those kind of things, which I think may be at least part of the problem.

The problem is that without the DVD drive I can't burn recovery disks from the partition or run the recovery program that needs the DVD. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DVD driver and updating it, but it still won't read a DVD. Is it possible to run the recovery without the DVD in some way or can someone give me help on how I can get the DVD drive working. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun problem to fix.

If it helps its a Compaq Presario SR1760AN, and he's only changed the hardware by adding more RAM. The DVD drive is a hp DVD writer 840b.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry is the BIOS, the list in device manager? I'm not completely comfortable on XP, so you'll have to be gentle with me.

If it is the same the yes it is there. If I uninstall it or remove it from there and reboot the computer, the computer finds the drive and installs drivers but it still won't read discs. When I put a disc in the light starts going but then nothing happens.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
the bios is on the m/board

it is the first screens you see when the computer boots before it hands over to the operating system

you access by pressing the del or f1 f2 during the post screens

one of the screens will say which key to press

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have another windows computer in the house to put it in.

Windows is booting up fine, the problem is that I can't get the drive to read disks. Other than the DVD player there are no real problems with the computer, just slow and clogged up with my brothers crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.