Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum! I have skimmed through alot of other posts about similiar problems but didnt find the problem I have.

I bought this new motherboard from asus p2c800-E deluxe yesterday and went home to install it. Everything worked out fine, I installed windowsXP sp2 on one of my sata harddrives (seagate 160gig). The problem is with my other sata seagate harddrive (200 gig) that it doesent show up on my computer or in the explorer. Everything looks fine in the bios and when unplugging and plugging it in it shows up as a new hardware in windows. The harddrive also exists in the devicemanager under diskunits. So the question is why doesent it show up as a disk when I can clearly see it in device manager as a proper working unit ???

Will be grateful for all answers and ideas on how to overcome this...

Thanks in advance / J

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds simply like it's not partitioned? If the bios detects it, and windows finds it as a hardware disk, maybe it's just not been prepared since it's new?

There are many ways you could do this manually if Windows is having trouble i think using the XP cd is the easiest. Boot from the cd and go through the menus as if you were installing a new OS for the first time; when asked check what partitions you have on this disk if any and delete if any, or create a new one on this drive. It's my bet that you wont have a partition on this drive. You don't need to format here btw, quit once youve created the partition and format in windoze.

If it's not this someone else i'm sure will offer some suggestions.

EDIT - maybe you might want to just also check the drive order in the bios too while you're there.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Carlos is correct, the bios on the P4C800-E Dlx will detect an unformatted SATA HD, but windows will not, you can do as Carlos said or use the cd that came with the HD or download the program from your HD mfg and boot from that disk rather than windows....once the drive is formatted and/or partitioned windows will recognize it and it should show up in my computer or device manager. There is no need for any drivers to be installed for sata hd's in windows xp unless you are setting up a raid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the answers!

The 200 gig harddrive that does not show up in windows is not a new disk !
It contains information I used before in my old comp. It doesent contain windows just folders with information that I dont want to erase (if its not a must).

I didnt have the second disk (200gb) connected and plugged in while I installed windows maybe thats why it doesent recognize it now?

thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It worked out! I could do something like "import foriegn disk" in windows xp !

Thanks everyone anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.