Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AMD Athlon1.4 on a QDI Kinetiz 7E-A with 640MB RAM and a Soundblaster Live 5.1. I use Windows XP Profesional. I recently bought a Creative Geforce4 ti4200 graphics card. I play games like Spiderman The Movie, RTCW, Warcraft III, Jedi Knight II, Colin McRae 2.0 with full detail (1024x768 32bit) and they run very smooth and with no problems. When I try to run F1 2002 or Grand Prix 4 almost immediately my computer locks and I have to reboot. The games run tests on my system before they start and find no problem and suggest full detail. I have tried all resolutions but still after I get out of the pit lane the game locks. I use the Nvidia 29.42 drivers but I have also tried 28.32 with no luck. Motherboard monitor shows that my CPU temp is 42C and Inside temp 32C. This also happens when I run Rally Trophy. Can this be happening because my card is overheating? If this is my problem, how do I solve it? I think Spiderman is a very demanding game and I have no problem running it with full details for as long as I like. I have heard others with same issues. Please help

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have heard of others having the same problem. I wish I had an answer but try a different card just to make sure you don't have any other issues going on here too.

wish i had more for ya,

Good luck,

Laffctx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup

My girlfriend's comp is having the same problems.

Her system:

Athlon XP 1800, 256Mb SDRAM, Geforce4 Ti4200 128Mb, and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

The problem is similar, and started when she got the Geforce4. All these parts are stuffed in her old Gateway's case with the same power supply, a 300W. I'm going to upgrade that first to see if it's the problem. What's your power supply?

Oh and her system locks in most games after about 5 minutes or so. Only in games, though, when it would stand to reason that her system and the card is working fairly hard and possibly maxin out the power supply.

So, I'll report results when we get that puppy switched out. Good luck with yours :]

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums Skaff...................:D

And let us know if the power supply cures your issue.

Have you upgraded your DirectX drivers?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, Speedo :]

I can say that we have updated everything that it was possible to update in that comp, including motherboard and video card bios, all drivers of all kinds, and we've formatted and reinstalled XP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it's the power supply or anything else beside Creative's graphics card. My power supply is 300W and also have updated everything that can be updated. I seriusly think the card is overheating. Check out how many people have the same problem here:

http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/forums/thread.asp?thre=22139

Read all 8 pages if possible and you' ll get the idea as I did. At first I thought I was one of few people having problems with this card. But as it turns out there are a lot of unsatisfied customers out there. I have a Ti4200 and the same problem also exists in the Ti4400 and Ti4600 models.

All of you with a Creative Geforce 4 Ti card who are experiencing crashes after a few minutes of gameplay write here about your system specs and problems. I 'm going to do improve the cooling system in my PC for now. I have tried everything else... I'm going to write more about the situation. Check out Creative's forum to get a good view of what's happening with this card.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I thought the card overheating was her problem at first, possibly a defect in the card's cooling system. So I swapped mine in(we bought 2 at the same time, one for each of us), and it still crashed in the same manner. A computer type friend of mine is pretty confident that 300W is not nearly enough for the system, and it is a possible cause of the crashing. So we'll see when I get the supply. It's gonna be coming in the mail, so it'll be a few days :]

S

·
0 Posts
Try taking the cover or side off of the machine and put a small fan blowing onto the video card and see if it helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally returned my card to the store where they kept it for testing. After a few days I called them and they told me that my card is faulty and I could have my money back so I could buy something else. So I bought another Geforce 4 ti4200 but from Chaintech this time. After installing the new card on my PC I have the same problem. Only now my PC doesn' t crash, it just returns to the desktop. I also tried the new card on a friend's PC and it did exactly the same thing. My friend's computer is very different than mine and besides winXP we have nothing in common. I tried in both cards opening the side and placing a house fan but it didn't help at all.

My PC :

AMD Athlon 1.4 MHz
QDI Kinetiz 7E-A
640MB RAM
SB Live 5.1
Chaintech Geforce 4 ti4200 128MB DDR
Creative Encore DXR3
WinXP Pro
300W power supply
Global Win cooler on CPU, 1 fan in front and 1 in the back

My friend's PC :

Intel Pentium III 550 MHz
512MB RAM
SB Live
Elsa Erazor Geforce 2 64MB
Hollywood Plus MPEG
WinXP Pro
250W power supply

If anyone has an idea of what could be wrong please post your opinion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My computer crashed everytime I played a direct3D game but it worked just fine in openGL games. I solved my problem by downloading 2 updates for my comp .

I have an AMD Athlon 1.4 MHz so first I downloaded the Windows® 2000/XP AGP Driver from AMD's site:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_1039^871^2336,00.html

and then since I have a VIA chipset on my motherboard I updated it's drivers with the new 4 in 1 from VIA's site:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

After doing that everything works fine. NO MORE CRASHES!!!!

My PC:

AMD Athlon 1.4 MHz
640MB SDRAM
QDI Legend KINETIZ 7E-A mobo
Chaintech Geforce4 Ti4200 SE 128MB DDR
SB Live 5.1
Creative Encore DXR3
300W PSU

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just posted about this a couple of days ago here and so far no responses. I too just bought a GEforce 4 ti4200 and I had compUsa install it with a 400 watt power supply, and enough sdram to make 512 MB from 128 MB. Anyway, I got the computer back and started having random freezes in Warcraft 3, Unreal Tournament 2003, and No One Lives Forever 2. I took the machine back to compusa and they said it was the sound card, so I purchased a new audigy SoundBlaster card. Well, the problems only got worse with even more games and they said they damaged the old video card and replaced it, so I know the actual video card was replaced. I've been having problems for weeks and I have not been able to figure out what is causing them. It seems by what everyone here is saying it truly is the video card, becuase I've never had a problem before this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my geforce 4 mx 440 - What os' are you guys running i was using xp, ive now switched to 2000 pro to see if that helps. I fitted a cooler onto the card as it only had a heatsink but still no luck, tried drivers from 30.82 right up to 41.x beta. :( this sucks!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
man same problem here, I have a p3 450mhx with 128 mb ram and gf 4 ti 4200 128 mb and i get the same freaking problem. I think its the heating problem with the card. When i turn on my system after a while and play the game it works fine but when I play it after I have left the system on for a while it starts crashing. Same problme monitor goes blank and system doesnt respond whats the freaking problme here although I have a MSI card with VIVO 4x supported and it alos crashes with 3d mark 2001 se at game 4 nature in between

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys its definately a problem with the cards heatsink or fan i guess. Try this out download 3d mark 2001 se and run it after u have used ure computer for a while now say 2 hours and keep ure air conditioner down so the card temperature reaches to a 41 to 43 degress or even 45 degrees. When you turn on your computer after a while it should be around 38 degrees. Now when u turn on ure computer run 3d mark 2001 se game 4 nature test at 1024*768 and game detail high and AA to 2 samples. When you run it wont crash. You can view your card temp using 3d turbo experience and it should be showing u 38 degrees. Now leave your computer for a while and then check your card temp again and when it reaches 41 to 42 run the same test again and it would crash thats what happened with me over here. What about you guys try it out and post your results here and hey i tried out VIA drivers they didnt work for me
:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:
Check out this link people over here seems to have the same problem

guys i think i might have a solution check this thread out here you go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.