Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I´m having a problem related to temperature :sayno: . I have a P5P800S Asus Motherboard with 3.0 Ghz Intel Socket T Processor. The fact is that my cpu cooler only runs at 2500 rpm even when I run heavy processes :dead: , so the temp of the cpu highs up to 63 °C - 67°C. I´ve recently updated Bios to the last one. I´ve noticed a new feature called Q-Fan. I´ve Enabled that option and put it in Auto. Also I´ve set the cooler to increase its speed to reach 38 °C. The fact is that the Q-Fan doesn´t work , the cooler doesn´t increase it´s speed. I had this problem even before updating bios. Why could this be happening? Any Ideas?

Thanks.
P.D.: I know my English sucks :normal: I usually speak Spanish, I´m from Argentina

·
Registered
66 Posts
Novice001 said:
Hi! I´m having a problem related to temperature :sayno: . I have a P5P800S Asus Motherboard with 3.0 Ghz Intel Socket T Processor. The fact is that my cpu cooler only runs at 2500 rpm even when I run heavy processes :dead: , so the temp of the cpu highs up to 63 °C - 67°C. I´ve recently updated Bios to the last one. I´ve noticed a new feature called Q-Fan. I´ve Enabled that option and put it in Auto. Also I´ve set the cooler to increase its speed to reach 38 °C. The fact is that the Q-Fan doesn´t work , the cooler doesn´t increase it´s speed. I had this problem even before updating bios. Why could this be happening? Any Ideas?

Thanks.
P.D.: I know my English sucks :normal: I usually speak Spanish, I´m from Argentina

i got Thermaltake Cooler for about 1 and half year, it seems sucks,,, i got about 60 degree F when i check it in the Bios/Cmos...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Novice001
Welcome :smile: . Your English is fine...better than some natively-english speaking people :wink: .

It is hard to believe, but the fan speeds and temps you are seeing are normal for the stock HeatSinkFan on a Prescott P4 CPU at full load!! :SHOCKED: The CPU will start to throttle back at around 70C. Not a very good design :sayno: .

Q-fan is designed to slow fans down when full RPM is not needed, so enabling or disabling should not affect its performance where maximum RPMs are needed.

The HeatSink fan speed is controlled by a thermistor on the fan hub, thereby controlled by the temperature of the air entering the fan and NOT controlled by the CPU temp. The air temps need to be about 30C before the fan will speed up. You can test this by opening your case and carefully using a hair dryer like they did here, blow on the HSF for a few seconds while the computer is running to see if the fan scales up in speed. If it doesn't, then your fan may be defective.

What kind of system/case temps are you getting? If the HSF is not ramping up in speed, then you might be getting OK temps...~30C, which is the HSF speed-up point(unless it is defective). If you are getting fairly hot case temps in the range of 35C+(or anything more than 10C above room temp), then you may need better ventilation thru your case. A front-to-back airflow is usually a good way to approach your system air management. Add an extra fan in front or back if needed. Side fans if any should blow in and top fans if any should blow out.

If your HSF is running at its fastest speed, and your case temps and airflow are OK, then you could try a faster(but louder) fan. A better idea...you could invest in a larger/quieter HSF like a Zalman 7000(best value) or 7700. The Scythe Ninja and Arctic Cooling Freezer4, Thermalright XP90 or XP120 are also good choices for the hot-running Prescott P4 you have.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Well written and through post ~~ PLEASE

I personally really like my Zalman 7000 teamed up with the Artic Silver 5 thermal grease !

kudos

joe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ linderman
Thanks for the kudos. Thanks also for the 'Arctic Silver 5' addition. It is what I use as well on my 7000, and well worth it for higher performing and higher temp systems where the extra few degrees are worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

HI! Thank you for giving me some ideas :sayyes: . I will try to use the hair dryer to test the fan. The other solutions you give to me are to buy a Zalman Cooler with heatsink an Arctic Silver 5 Grease. The problem is that here in Argentina not many people sell this heatsinks and they´re very expensive (about 110 american dollars, a lot of money for us). I saw some models of Zalman in a Web Site. Which do you recommend? all made of copper? or copper with alumminium? I will try with the hair drier to se if the cooler is ok and post the results here :smooch: . See you later

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Results

I´ve tested the fan with the hair dryer. It works fien, the temp increased from 2550 rpm to 4000 rpm. But the thing is here we are in Winter so the temp in the case i below 30 degrees, how can the fan increase its speed if the case temp is always in 25 degrees? Q-Fan sucks, I´ve setted it to work at 90% ratio and nothing happens. I just don´t know what to do. :sad:

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
The Cu-AL heatsink from Zalman cpns7000 will be a bit cheaper than the all copper (Cu) model but you will only have a 2-5 degree difference between the all copper and copper aluminum heatsink when using the AS5. You may also want to look at some online stores like newegg, zipzoomfly, or tigerdirect and see if they ship to Argentina...it may save you some money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.