Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
when i start or run command prompt, the command prompt window appears for a few seconds and gets closed immediately. OS is Ms. XP
Please help fixing this.
Thanks.

vidita

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
1,172 Posts
Hi Vitita, The first question that comes to my mind when I look at this is why exactly do you need to start the command prompt? I mean is there something your trying to fix from there? Also I will be happy to help you fix this issue but Im going to need a little info to do that.

Please try to answer these questions to the best of your ability so that someone can help.
1). What kind of computer do you have? Laptop? Desktop? Dell, HP, Ect?
2). Whats your level of experience? Novice, intermediate, expert, or dont know squat?
3). What operating system are you using? Xp Home or XP Pro?
4). What antivirus are you using?
5) Please tell us a little about your computer. How old is your computer? Hard drive, processor, ram, Bios ver. Ect.
6). Do you have a Xp disk for this computer?
and anything else that might help us help you. Remember we are trying to help from a forum so all we have to go on is what you can tell us.

Reguards
Patmark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ,
Basically i am a comp. engg. student and have assignments to do in command prompt.
Thats why I need to run it. Here are the details needed:
I use a DELL Inspiron 1545 laptop since 15 months.
It has got 2GB Ram, and a dual core processor.
OS is Xp Home and antivirus Net protector though it wasn't updated due to problem in internet connection..
Thanks

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello vidita

1. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and find
cmd.exe
Double click it. Does the window open? If not go to

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Line 228 right hand side

2. I have known it to be this
C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\StartMenu\Programs\Startup\svchost.exe

Check in msconfig for unnecessary entries
Start/Run and type in
msconfig
OK

Startup Tab
Keep the page open then go to link below. It will tell you what all the entries are and whether you can disable them or not. It will also identify any malware. Disable everything which is not needed to run at start up

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Read the Key at top of page. Use the Search box to check all your entries

If you find any nasties there, disable them. Do not reboot before you get the system cleaned as follows:-

Please read “Virus/Trojan/Spyware Removal Help “ and follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information in the Virus Help Forum
If you cannot complete any step, just miss it out and do what you can, but be sure to include this information in your post.
Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus Help Forum; not back here in this one.

Please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

·
1,172 Posts
Hi vidita, Your in good hands now. Thanks Dundin. Just let me know if theres anything else I can do to help.

Reguards
Patmark

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello patmark

Thanks for the vote of confidence :smile:

We can both pitch in.

·
1,172 Posts
Absolutely Dunedin Im subscribed to this thread and will continue to monitor for OPs response. Thank you for helping.

Patmark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.