Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cavalry Storage (CAXM Series 500 GB USB External Hard Drive CAXM37500)

Kept displaying delayed write failure for about a week. I could not access the drive without restarting. Now when I start my system the hard drive continuously gets recognized and then unrecognized as if it were being turned on and off repeatedly.

Any help on how i can rescue my drive?

i have XP and the drive has been working for over a year before this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey let me update you on a few things.

I did try the drive on a different computer and it was unable to recognize it.

I have since contacted Cavalry and the guy told me that the control chip went bad. If i take the hard drive out and put it inside my computer I should be able to access the files.

Problem was my computer only allowed for the ide 40 pin kind of drive and i needed an adapter for this new sata drive to connect via the slave connector on my computer

The support guy showed me this link and the proper adapter and it sounded easy enough.

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/adsaide.asp

The adapter arrived yesterday and I still can figure out how to get to my hard drive.

Here are some new problems:

minor problem is my slave cable isn't long enough to reach the new drive with this adapter on. I assume i can buy an extension for the cable.

main problem is my computer can't recognize the drive what so ever. while the sata drive itself doesn't need a jumper the adapter does and its set for slave. would i need to change the jumper on my older ide drive?

the drive has power and the connections are secure.

the first few times i started my system windows would not load with the new drive in. it brought up my bios screen a few times. but now my system starts with the drive connected.

the slave drive doesn't show up in my bios screen or in the device manager.

needless to say im lost and my fruitless research on google doesnt help. I have about 250g of files i really need to access.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
The other drive must be set to master, if it is a Western Digital, there are two master positions - master no slave ( which has no jumper ) and master slave present - make sure the old drive is set to master ( or master with slave ) and not cable select. Can you fell the drive spin up? What are the make and models of both drives?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other drive must be set to master, if it is a Western Digital, there are two master positions - master no slave ( which has *no jumper ) and master slave present - make sure the old drive is set to master *( or master with slave ) and not cable select. Can you fell the drive spin up? What are the make and models of both drives?
They are both western digital.*

Your right about the jumper on my master hard drive. Wehn I start my machine now it says something like primary slave disk error and it goes to my bios screen. The slave drive shows up in bios now but when I exit bios by selecting save changes and exit the system restarts and brings me back to the disk error screen the back to bios

when I exit bios by selecting disgard changes and exit it brings me to the windows screen but doesn't boot. It just stays on the xp loading screen with the black background.*

I'm at a loss again.*

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Is the drive spinning, is it making any clicking noises?
Just looked at the specs on the adapter. It says it is SATA1.0 compatible. You may need to jumper the speed down on the sata drive if it is SATA 2. Check the label on the drive for a jumper position on the back of the sata drive for 150 MB/s speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
drive spins. there are no clicking noises.

the slave drive is a WD Caviar se (WD5000AAJS) its backwards compatible for sata 1.0, there is no jumper position listed to slow it down.

i, hopefully, doubt that the tech support would recomend the adapter without knowing if it were compatible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
random thought:

Could i have screwed up something in my Registry editor, specifically (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management)

or maybe i disabled something in the services in administrative tools?

i only ask because those are the only areas i've tweaked in my system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the drive spinning, is it making any clicking noises?
Just looked at the specs on the adapter. It says it is SATA1.0 compatible. You may need to jumper the speed down on the sata drive if it is SATA 2. Check the label on the drive for a jumper position on the back of the sata drive for 150 MB/s speed.
sorry i dont know how to edit posts,

i was on the western digital site looking for jumper settings and for my model it doesn't have a setting for 150MB/s only for 1.50Gb/s

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Yes there is a jumper http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1512&p_created=#jumper I don't know of any drive that auto detects the bus speed they all have either a jumper or software to set the speed. Memory is ram, the hard drive is storage - not likely anything there would be an issue. There shouldn't be any services that affect IDE drives. The tech could have been wrong in his diagnosis, it is tough to diagnose every problem 100% when you don't have the device in front of you. I use SATA IDE adapters all the time in the lab for recoveries, a lot of our write blockers, and some of the the hardware recovery tools only have IDE. We have a couple of those manufacturer's adapters, but not sure if it is the same model, it may need that jumper. It should be at least recognized in BIOS unless the drive has suffered a physical failure. Even then, if a WD drive spins - there is usually some device found in BIOS. WD drives will report WD_ROM_MODEL_XXXXX ( XXXX being the internal model designator ) when there is a failure to read the Service are of the drive. No recognition means it is not communicating, or has suffered damage to the ROM chip on the PCB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
wait are you saying that i should put a jumper on the 5-6 pins? I'm getting two different numbers from you and the WD site.

are you saying that jumping the 5-6 pins will slow down my drive to 150mbs?

the WD site says that jumping 5-6 will activate 1.50Gbs

the sata drive itself came without any jumpers. where do you get things like that?

in bios it will show the slave as WD_ROM_MODEL_XXXXX but not everytime. (i hate this)

is damage to the rom chip something that happens often? how would it happen the drive has never moved.

We'll see if i get an email back from the tech on monday morning. he may have hoped that i died.

i wish i had more experience with all this junk. i feel like this should have been simple hard drive addition.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
The number ref is my bad, it would be 1.5GBs (1500mb/s)- screwed up my ankle Sat and the pain pills musta been getting to me. Sheesh. There is usually a jumper included witht he drive, either across to horizontal pins ( a neutral position ) or in the bag witht he mounting screws and cables. Since this drive came from an external enclosure, they probably eliminated the jumper when they ordered the drives from WD to save that .001 cent per drive. You could check your other drives for an unused jumper ( it will he horizontal on the pins if it is unused)
When you say not everytime it shows the WD_ROM_Model identifier, what does it show the other times - correct model or nothing?
When I use the term damage, it is rarely physical damage caused by impact. WD stores part of the firmware code in one of two places, depending on the chipset used on the drive. If the drive uses a Marvel Chipset ( the MCU - largest chip on the drive circuit board ) will have a large M on it if not the whole name Marvel ) then this firmware code is stored in memory physically located inside the MCU. On other chipsets, the ROM code is stored in a discrete rom chip ( normally the U-12 chip on the circuit board) When the drive boots, the ROM code excutes first, among the information contained in the ROM firmware code is the start address of the firmware modules which are actually written on the drive's platters in the service area - an area of the drive not addressable directly by software. The ROM also contains some of the other modules that hold drive speicific adaptive parameters. Adaptives are basically fine tuning adjustments that are unique to each drive and written when the drive is initialized at the factory. Things like the zone map - which contains head and preamp bias voltages for each zone of the drive - the p-list ( some are on the rom some on the platter - which contains the permanent list of bad sectors - those sectors that were bad at the time of manufacture and remapped to spares. basically the drive has to boot, just like a PC, it has it's own microcode that controls the drive ( firmware) and it's own processor. What you are seeing is a failure to read the specific from teh platter service area. There are two primary reasons (and probably more minor or specific reasons I haven't seen in the lab yet ) you see the Rom_model result
1) The Firmware in whichever location has been damaged or the more likely
2) The preamp has failed / is weak or the head stack has failed.
The heads of course are what read the platter's surface, the preamp bumps up the signals read by the heads to a level that can be translated by the drive electronics into the eqivalent binary value for transmission to the PC. When you ask if it happens often, across the board probably not all that often, taking into account the number of drives that are running everyday - and all drives manufacturer's use similar methodology to handle the boot code and the adaptives. Just where they are stored is the fly in the ointment. Determining the actual failure point usually requires a hands on exam of the disk to determine what the issue is. The resolution depends on a lot of variables. If the failure is in the PCB and a marvel chipset, the data has to be read from the patient PCboard's mcu and uploaded to the MCU of the new PCboard. If not a marvel chipset then the u-12 chip can be transferred to the new drive. And from there it gets more complex depending on the issue.
The downside is that in any of these fixes, they are not truly a fix, they are simply a way to get the data off the drive. Once the drive fails, it's future stability is called into question - the repair is generally designed to only allow for data recovery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the response

I will try to find a spare jumper and try it at a new speed.

I just got an email from tech support basically saying that i should fill out a form and send the drive in and see maybe if they can get the files off. I'm thinking that the drive its F*cked and i need a new one.

im worried that because my warranty is over that this will be costly for:

A to get the files off
B to buy a new drive to replace the bad one

What do you recomend i do for both A and B if the jumper doesn't work, which it wont because if i didn't have bad luck, i'd have no luck at all.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
I haven't seen a hard drive manufacturer who does data recovery as a freebie - in or out of warranty and the only one I know of who even has their own DR facilities is Seagate, they bought out another large Data Recovery company a few years back. Western Digital will recommend their 'approved' vendors, but there are also a lot of other good DR shops who don't seek the manufacturer's stamp for various reasons - many of which are valid.. I can't speak to all data recovery companies, but physical recoveries on those model drives start at about $1200 and go up pretty quickly - Up to $2200 - $2500. The high capacity drives are a pain to work on, and the WDs are probably the worst of all due to getting their heads realigned after replacement. I'm with you, I don't think the jumper issue is going to solve this one, but it is the easiest test to verify, and if it does work then it is all good.
So basically no inexpensive way to get the data off the drive, and even if you do send the drive to a DR company, if they have to do anything physical to the drive, any warranty will be voided. You might check the serial number of the drive on WDs site, the warranty on the actual Har Drive may be longer than the warranty from teh vendor who sold the complete package, so you might be able to at least get the drive replaced if not the USb enclosure. Again, the warranty only gets you a replacement drive, usually a refurbed one, and does not cover the data on the drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.