Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy has a computer with a problem and he’s asked me to see if I can retrieve the data documents from the computer. The subject computer is a COMPAQ PRESARIO SR5030NX with a Pentium 4 cpu, 3.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM, running Windows Vista Home Basic.

His goal was to create a dual boot computer – UBUNTU and Vista. What he did was, one Saturday morning without reading directions, he installed UBUNTU, partitioning the computer in two partitions. The computer is now giving an error code of 21 when GRUB Loader starts up. Is there a restore disk or some kind of utility that can undo what was done to the computer. He has no backup disk.

I tried Recovery Commander Ver. 3 made by Avanquest but as their website indicates it’s for XP. They never updated it for Vista and Windows 7. Is there a utility that can undo some of the changes that were made to the machine when UBUNTU was installed, albeit, unsuccessfully.

I have an HP PC running XP professional and I was wondering if I take the hard drive out from the COMPAQ and rig it to my HP via a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter device would I be able to see the contents of that COMPAQ computer that had Vista and now UBUNTU.

We’re just after the data files and not software programs. Thanks for any links or advice.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.