Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A client of mine has SBS2003 with 2 NICs - one internal and one external. Simple stuff! Now I have 2 DSL routers that I use for sharing internet loading. The routers are connected via a switch to the external nic on the server, all with static Ip's as follows:
SBS External nic - 192.168.5.1
First dsl router - 192.168.5.2
Second dsl router - 192.168.5.3

I have configured port forwarding on both routers for several applications to forward to 192.158.5.1. One such app is VNC -port 5900

When I set the gateway of the sbs server to use the first dsl, then I am to connect to the server through the first dsl but unable to connect to the sbs server from the internet through the second router.

And when I set the gateway of the sbs server to use the second dsl, then I am able to connect to the server through the second dsl but unable to connect to the sbs server from the internet through the first router.

Anyone know why this happens? How do I make this situation work?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am not an expert but I think the only way to do this is either using a dual wan router as suggested or a second lan card in the server.

The SBS server is responding to vnc but because the server has been told to use the gateway address to reply to the internet when you use the other router the reply would come back from a different IP address.
You could try wireshark on you machine to verify this.

If I remember windows (Linux user :) ) you can add extra gateways but I don't think this would help because this still would not allow you to reply to a command from a specific router just fail over if the main router dies.

But then I am not an expert and someone might know more than me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bogdraggon, thanks for your reply. I was afraid that this would be the reality. So either a dual wan router or a second wan card in the server would work. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.