Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 GMC C1500 with a 4.3L engine that has trouble starting. When I turn the key over, the starter spins but does not turn the engine over. I have to try it a few times before the starter turns the engine over. It isn't a horrible problem, but I fear that it is getting worse. Does this problem sound familiar...what is causing it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does it make any noises, horrible sounding almost? You could have a dead spot in the flywheel, where teeth are missing, and it grinds past that point till it catches.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there's no grinding of any kind. The starter just spins. I thought that might be the case, but since there is no grinding, it would seem to rule that out. I've been thinking it might be the starter spindle not extending to come in contact with the flywheel. A friend of mine had the same problem, but it was the reverse problem; the spindle would stay stuck in the flywheel. Does this sound like a possiblity?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like a weak starter drive or a bad solenoid. Pull the starter and check the flexplate...If the plate is ok, put a starter on it and be done with it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ya sounds like the starter is goin bad, do like texas said and pull the starter and check the flexplate, if thats ok put a new starter on it.

if you have an advance auto parts store around you, heres a starter for ya

http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...OS&mfrpartnumber=SR8529X&parttype=123&ptset=A

u may have to enter zip code first tho

its 109 and has a core charge of 55, but once you take the old starter in you get that back.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,296 Posts
Flexplate and flywheel are the same thing...pull the starter off and inspect it through that hole for cracks or spans of missing teeth.
There may also be an access plate/dust shield on the bottom of the transmission right at the seam between the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I looked underneath the truck from the front and was able to see parts of the flywheel. I couldn't see the whole thing, but as far as I could tell, all of the teeth were there. The weird part is that it was open rather than sealed with a dust shield as MT mentioned. It was open towards the front, so it wouldn't be too hard for a rock to jump up in there and start messing things up. Maybe it's meant to be that way, I have no idea. If the flywheel isn't damaged, which I hope it isn't (I don't know if I capable of separating the engine and transmission to replace the flywheel) I'll just replace the starter. Checker Auto has then for $80 (3 yr war.) and $95 (lifetime war.) both with a $33 core charge.

·
5,296 Posts
[shameless product plug]
Static, see if you can find a Cardone new starter for the truck - we sell those here and they actually are made better than OEM units are. They also carry a limited lifetime warranty.

[/shameless product plug]
:grin:

·
Registered
35 Posts
[shameless product plug]
Static, see if you can find a Cardone new starter for the truck - we sell those here and they actually are made better than OEM units are. They also carry a limited lifetime warranty.

[/shameless product plug]
:grin:
Whew! Cardone better than the factory parts? I've never heard that before. I don't know about shameless, Midnight. :normal:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's definitely the starter then? I'd hate to replace the wrong part; I've done that too many times in my past experience working on vehicles.

·
5,296 Posts
Actually, I'd pull it and have it tested before investing in a new one.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
in gm starters the solenoid also engages the drive gear, and it's not odd for them to get weak.

have it tested though, like mt said. most parts stores test for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.