1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
raid configuration

hello all
this is a great forum.
yes linderman and the rest are correct
you will get a loop paradox of restarting and hard rebooting.

i found that out when i setup the pending p4p800-e deluxe mb
on my test bench which has installed on it win98se alone.
crashed and crashed then the coffee kicked in a haaaaa.
must translate the same for pre check boot.

hence i am using a duel boot hd with segmented win98se/winxppro

can any one guide me in finding straight foward procedures in utilizing
the sata1 and sata2 ports on the mb for configuring a raid 0 or raid0+1
on the p4p800-e deluxe i'm very new at raid configuring
have printed tons of material to read and still confused.
raid is a puzzle indeed.
all i wan't to do is attach 2 maxtor hds sata type
along with 2 ide devices .
1 tdk cdrw drive 1 tdk dvd +-rw drive.
according to manual if using raid one ide port gets shut down
am i correct? so how do i set up 2 ide devices one on master thev other on
slave on the same controller with out conflict.,

can i use both primary and secondary channels with one on each
that would make it perfect for dvd burning etc.
the pending system is a p4 @3.0 gig 800mhz
4 sticks of kingston ddr =2gb mem
1 sony fdd 2maxtor 120's serial ata matched pair
the 2 tdk drives utilizing onboard sound
an e-gforce fx5500 graphics card beefed up with a cooler and chipset
coolers no other cards in a slot yet
running on a x-connect 500 ps.
each hard drive has its own cooler on it.
the case is a tower with 2 rear fans and 2 front fans for venting and cooling.
plenty of room for cable dressing etc.
os will be winxp pro not an upgrade edt.

what do you think not a bad setup huh.
just looking for some good straight foward procedures on raid config.
andi'll be up and running with out a hitch( hopefully) soon.
looking foward to good replies.
thanks in advance.
quester12

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ quester12
Welcome :). Clintfan's excellent post Asus P4P800-P4C800 Series: Installing RAID on Intel ICH5R is what I followed for my RAID1 OS installation. It is pretty thorough.

One thing I would add to it, is in step 7, when you press F5 followed by F6, when choosing 'computer type', be sure to choose 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'(or other 'multiprocessor' options) if you want to enable the hyperthreading capabilities of your CPU. This is a bit unclear in the instructions(and rightly so, since the article is about RAID installation) but very important. I failed to do so, and had to reinstall everything after spending many hours researching how to implement Hyperthreading.

I am running my ODD's on Primary master and secondary master, so, no, the IDE channels don't get shut down when using RAID off the ICH5R.

Sounds like you will have a nice system. Many people have discussed the good/bad of RAID0 and RAID1. You can see my setup in my sig as to how I feel. I partitioned my ICH5R RAID1 HDDs with the OS+Programs on the outer(faster) partition of 30GB and DATA on the inner partition of 120GB.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
please (thank you)

thanks for the welcome :sayyes:

thanks for the info on hyperthreading.
so if i get your'e message correctly
i would put my tdk dvd as master on the primary ide.
then i would connect the tdk cdrw drive as secondary master.
i would connect 1sata drive on the sata1 connector and the other on the
sata 2 connector. correct? no master /slave need be set for the hard drives.
correct? if we are correct we would have given life to a hungry pc.

thanks agin
quester12

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ quester12
Yes, connect and jumper your Optical drives as p-m and s-m, connect your SATA drives to SATA1 and SATA2 connectors, not the SATA_RAID1 or SATA_RAID2 connectors...those are for the Promise controller. There is no master/slave when using SATA drives...everybody gets their own channel:).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
connectors connectors

ah! now i see the light :sayyes:
anything additional other than utilizing instructions for intel raid config
on chapter section 5.7 on page 5-27 5.7-1-5.7-31.
do i load all the raid drivers under 5.8 on page 5-31.
which one works for the intel configuration or do i require both installed
for winxp pro to work correctly?

thanks for all your'e help (please)

if you build it it might work

quester12

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ quester12
It would take too long to post about what is wrong with the manual and what you are thinking, I will just say "no". I would recommend following clintfan's instructions instead of the ASUS manual. His are more step-by-step and clear, with links to the latest IAAR files. An overview of your steps from clintfan
INSTALL Setup.
RAID OS is desired, OS is not yet installed.
Get IAAR.
Make IAAR floppy (requires WinZip).
Power down.
Attach SATA drives to ICH5R, disconnect all other drives.
Enable Intel RAID in BIOS.
Create RAID array using CTRL+I.
Boot XP Setup CD.
Press F6 (or F5 then F6).
Load IAAR files from floppy.
Finish install and boot to Windows.
Install Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility.
Install full IAAR.
Install remaining drivers, antivirus, firewall.
I can't say it any clearer or better. The rest of his post is just the more detailed explanation of each step. Follow the GREEN instructions step-by-step and you will have no problems. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok fine to please

OK FINE

yes i will let you know of the birth of my pc as to quote"it's alive"
or "he's dead jim" form .
thanks agin
quester12

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
she's juryriged like a christmas tree

ok; please

all wired up .
next stop the driver zone (scary)
i'll be getting the latest drivers and a fresh copy of the iaar.
as for the partitioning i have never partitioned a raid format .
what did you do? how did you do it.?

any advice .... all i want is to partition the array of 2 120's with enough to
play games, use a cad system and store drawings a model railroding designing same as the cad and want to convert vhs tape to dvd's.

help me to partition this; please :4-dontkno :1angel:
thanks
quester12

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ quester12
I am by no means an expert on this subject. I will share with you what worked for me. I hope anybody else with any additional views or suggestions will chime in.

First, I highly recommend choosing a RAID1 setup for your HDDs, since you will be placing your OS on it. For my RAID1 OS/Programs partition, I am using 20GB. I have only used 8GB so far, but that keeps it easy to defrag and keeps seeks snappy. I also like having that extra margin of space for long-term program additions. You may want a larger size if you are loading a lot of games. My guideline is to use around 50-75% of the partition and leave the rest empty. Its a balance between waste-of-space and performance. You will have to decide your own priorities.

Another thought to consider in relation to your needs and your current hardware. You may wish to set up as two separate singular drives. Video decoding/recoding runs faster if done between drives than if done on the same drive/array. The process has to read AND write, which is always faster when done from drive-to-drive(NOT partition-to-partition as this still invloves the same HDD and same read/write head). Another benefit would be more space. And, you could set your pagefile and/or your cad program scratchpad to the outermost partition(s) on your second HDD to speed the pagefile process. This rojakpot article was helpful to me on that subject. My second RAID array, in RAID0 has a pagefile partition(2GB partition, 1GB permanent Pagefile, 1GB photoshop primary scratchpad) first(outer edge) and the video editing partition/photoshop secondary scratchpad(150GB) for the rest. I understand you cannot duplicate my setup in RAID without adding another SATA-RAID controller, but you may do something similar with two single SATA drives and get similar performance/benefits. Once again, you will have to decide your own priorities.

Anyway, this article by the eldergeek should be helpful to you. It explains the setup much better than I could..and its got pictures :smile:. The 'Partitioning A Blank Hard Drive During XP Installation' page is where you will find your 'how-to' answer. Partitioning your array occurs at the beginning of the XP installation, after you have created the array, in step 7.10 of the green clintfan guide previously linked.

This article by rojakpot was helpful to me in understanding RAID in general...and in great detail :Wow1: .

well give it a shot, go slow and prepare thoroughly...let us know how it goes...good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply (please)

yeh; ok capin. it may take a we bit more time .
at least we are on the same page .
i have the raid article from the elder geek .
however not the other one.

thanks for the advice i'll squach some numbers and try and find a good ratio.
1 only have a pair of hds 120 gb ea=240gb.
if i do raid 1 (correct me if i'm wrong) the mirror = the same .
if 2 120's in raid1 format created as 50% of total ie

1/2 of 120=60 60 mirrored=120 leaving 120 un partitioned is that correct?

anbody else would care to chime in is cool.
yah know; building is easy.... reading raid .... now thats hard.
(quoting ) the late james doohan (scottie)
read the other article are you using 3 hard drives?
cause i only want to use 2 . do i need a third drive one for the promise
blue slot)? :4-dontkno
thanks agin
quester12

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
RAID 0(striped) = 2 X 120GB = 240GB total space available. If one drive fails, ALL data is lost. Any data written is spread over all drives in the array. You cannot read or remove any single drive in the array.

RAID1(mirror) = 2 X 120GB divided by 2 = 120GB total space available. Each drive will have the OS and any DATA on it...they will be 'mirror images' of each other...all data is written twice, once on each HDD. It is like making a backup in realtime. They are capable of running your system alone as a single disc after any disc failure. RAID1 is highly recommended over RAID0 for OS installs or any critical data you may have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 drives

so.... when using just 2 drives it will = 120gb so their will be 120 gb left open
and unused? correct?
or none free each 120 will have the same data,

:4-dontkno

quester12

·
Banned
102 Posts
In RAID0 your total storage is the total of both drives in the array because part of the data is written to both drives simultaneously. If one drive fails all data is lost because data is "striped" across both drives. So if you have two 80GB drives in RAID0 you have 160GB storage without back up.

In RAID1 your total storage is equal to the size of each drive in the array because one drive is backing up the other -- mirroring it, thus RAID1 is called a "mirrored array" -- so if you have two 80GB drives in RAID1 you have 80GB storage -- but you are fully backed up if one drive fails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.