Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. i got a Geforce FX52000 Card (AGP). The card works absolutely fine in Windows XP, however when I load up Quake (yes, quake 1) the game plays for a short while then begins to freeze momentarily (ie freezes for 2 seconds and starts again, and freezes and starts and so on) or completely locks up the system. Today it worked FINE on a different client, zquake, and I was happy, but then when i loaded it up to check if it worked again it had stopped working and was freezing.

I have downloaded new NVIDIA drivers, re-installed the 3D card twice, set the default display device to AGP in the BIOS and tried to tweak the settings of the card to high performance rather than high quality but nothing has helped. I have also tried to rollback to previous versions of NVIDIA drivers, but this also does not help. I even tried the newest beta drivers, but they were even worse! I have Direct x9c.

The one thing I haven't done (which I don't think is a problem) is disabled the onboard graphics. The tech guy said that the AGP would automatically override the onboard graphics, so it should be fine... I also didnt want to completely remove them in case I had to send the card back because I'm not at all sure where to get the drivers for it, but if people think its necessary, i will remove the onboard drivers. (under display adapters is only my geforce card)

I know its not the best card, but it should be easly able to run a game like quake well I have a celeron 2.4 ghz pentium cpu with 512mb ram and 80gb capacity hdd with about 65gb free

If you have any idea what I can do to fix this problem, please tell me... if you think my card is faulty, please let me know. really need help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some additional information: I ran other games like NFS 3 and Half Life and it seemed to work okay for them. NFS 3 it locked up a little at he beginning, but I think I remember NFS 3 doing that... when I was driving around in full graphics it was running fine.

So it leads me to believe it may not agree with quake... but I have deleted opengl32.dll (for all those that know about quake and geforce), so it's nothing to do with that. I could be completely wrong, this is just some more info!

Thanks in advance for ANY help!

Dispy

·
Registered
209 Posts
hmm, i dont know much about these old games...
have u done any serious testing on the card? try running 3dmark or something to see if you get the same problem while maxing out the card.

the 2 main reasons for those kind of problems are cache lag and overheating lockups.
check that your ram is no overflowing while your playing the game, and check to make sure your not overheating.
if you dont know how a good tool to check these is everest home edition.

if none of these solve the problem... it might just be too old of a game, i still play starcraft, and i get color inverting when i alt tab, back on dx3 that didnt happen... things have changed and wont always work with the old stuff.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Didn't Quake run in software rendering with no 3D support from a graphics adapter? if that's the case then the only thing limiting you would be your CPU. Even your Celeron should be able to run Quake 1 well with plenty of speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.