Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, i just want to ask someone here regarding my problems. here it is, i have 2 hard disks both from seagate the one is 20GB and the other one is 40GB both running in 7200rpm. i outlined the problem of both the 20 & 40GB respectively:

40GB:

1.the PC can read it during boot up, i also try to detect it in BIOS and it is detected also but when i'm already in windows the drive doesn't show up even i try to restart the result is the same, what seems to be the problem of this? is there a way to fix this?

20GB:

1.my other disk, this is the one im using right now for my file storage since i can't use the 40GB, but the problem is i can't access it too anymore, everytime i try to access it the windows shows this message "the disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now?" i never try to do that coz i will lost all my important files, i try to access it in Command Prompt and another message is shown "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" and i don't know what is the meaning of that, now i want to know if there is a way to fix this hardk disk? what can i do about it? will i lose all my files in this drive? or if it can be fix is there a way to fix it without losing my files?

hope someone here could really help me i really need it badly...

btw, i already try to scandisk the 20GB in windows mode select all the checkboxes but when i try to run it nothing happens the scandisk window suddenly disappears....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If they are formatted with FAT32 then you could try booting from a Win98 boot floppy and scanning the drives with scandisk. It actually sounds like the drives have died (from the sizes you mention they would be pretty old) but you won't know unless you can test them. Have you tried booting the system with only one drive connected?

You could also download Maxblast from the Maxtor website and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they are formatted with FAT32 then you could try booting from a Win98 boot floppy and scanning the drives with scandisk. It actually sounds like the drives have died (from the sizes you mention they would be pretty old) but you won't know unless you can test them. Have you tried booting the system with only one drive connected?

You could also download Maxblast from the Maxtor website and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on them.
can i use that software? im using a seagate hard drive is it compatible with my drive? yah, i know it a bit old but i don't have money to buy new ones 'coz i'm only a student... :) besides i can still use it to save my important files not until it doesn't respond anymore. anyway, i can't do the one drive thing bcoz the 2 drives that i'm talking to is my file storage drive i guess i can't boot on it without an OS installed, i just want to ask if there's a way i can revive the 40GB drive 'coz the problem it got is it can't be detected in windows but it is detected in bios. i want to know what's wrong in this? hope you canhelp me...

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
go to the seagate website and download the "Seatools" diagnostic suite (free)

make sure you run the extended or full test

post back with the results

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sorry, Trebor, I had Maxtors on the mind when I replied to you earlier. Of course I should have said "Seatools" as Linderman pointed out. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.