Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem Installing!!

901 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Girderman 
#1 ·
I recently bought an external DVD burner that came with "Roxio Creator 8.2 XE" by Sonic. I attached the burner to my computer and inserted the program to be installed. I already had a program for burning (possibly by Roxio) and it gave me the option to get rid of it because this one would take its place, so I did. Everything was going fine until I got the message " The software you are installiung has not passed Windoes Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windoes CP. This software will not be installed. Contact your system administrator." I clicked ok, but it continued to set up, and then the message came up 2 or 3 more times. At the end it told me to restart my computer and it would be complete, however now, after restarting, it isn't installed, and my computer doesn't even recognize the external DVD burner anymore I don't think. I've tried to re-install it a couple times, but nothing works. What should I do?

#2 ·
My first thought is that you have some kind of security setting enabled that prevents software changes from occuring.

Is this your personal computer, or someone elses ? Laptop or desktop ?

The Security issue is first. After that gets figured out, what I would do is delete both and then reinstall. Be a REAL good idea to run some preventative programs first, to make sure something (else) isn't interfering with the new install, such as AV scans and chkdsk. Make sure all definition files are updated. Also update Windows XP.

My main point is, make sure you have a "healthy" system before trying to tackle a major installation problem.

#4 ·
#6 ·
This means you are well-behind on Windows Updates. The absence of the Security Updates (and the vulnerabilities the patch) may contributing to the problem.

It's a bad idea to run without SP2 in any case.

I suggest you follow the Stickie and verify that you are malware-free before installing SP2. Running chkdsk as a preventative is also a real good idea.

However I am aware your immediate need is to resolve the issue of the CD-burning software. My concern is that that problem might be caused by malware, which has gained entry to your system due to the vulnerabilities of not having XP fully-update. I trying to avoid taking 2 steps forward, and then having to take 3 steps back.

But you can't install SP2 (and everything that comes after) without making sure you are malware-free.

Please give a general description of physcial system specs (CPU & motherboard) and your AV solution. Maybe we can run what you have, and not need to download and install something.

Also, follow the suggestions in the stickie. Once the system is verified malware free, we can run the update to include SP2, and then look to the CD burning software problem.

But I don't want to "slant" the advice completely based on what I think. If you want to ignore all this and just address the software problem, what I would do is uninstall both, reboot, and then re-install the new one again. Check hardware manager to make sure your device drivers are installed correctly (no yellow or red flags).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.