Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
im trying to install win xp on my comp (p4 2.4, 512 ram). after setup starts i use the cd to create a partition and format it, then setup copies some files and then the computer informs me on a restart while a msg says that setup will continue after the restart only that after the restart i go back to square 1 - the setup wont continue, it'll just boot again from the cd and ask me to choose a partition and all that... can ne1 help me? im desperate here :/

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Go into the BIOS setup menu and change your boot order to:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Drive you want to boot from.

Don't forget to save before you exit.

Put the OS disk in, start it up and tell us what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a. no it doesnt ask me to remove the cd
b. i just tried changing the boot order and still, same thing, after the first restart it jumps back to the first step...

any other ideas?
10x btw...

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Try taking the CD out before restarting. What happens then?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Are you certain the copy of the OS disk is a self booting disk, like I mean a full copy and not startup disks???? Also, what kind of partitioning did you do on it.....Win32, NTFS??? One partition or more???

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

What kind of drive is this? What I would do is go to the manufacturer's website and download the manufacturer's utility and use that utility to format and partition the drive. Then, I would redo the WIN XP OS install. >or> just redo it with the WinXP disk again completely partitioning and formatting again. You might try this one and if it does not work, then try the utility mentioned above.

Here is what I am assuming:

1) That you have the drive jumpered correctly (master and placed on the end of the ribbon cable)

2) That you are using an 80 connector cable and not one of the old 40 connector cables.

3) That this is an IDE drive and you are not trying to install a Sata drive.

4) That you have the BIOS setup menu with the boot order set to:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Drive

AND, that you have the PnP in the BIOS setup menu set to Disabled.

5) That this drive worked on this computer before you partitioned and formatted it.

Are any of these assumptions wrong?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol, yep, all ur assumptions are good...
ill try the manufactor thing now, i already tried partitioning and formatting again...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
This wouldnt happen to be a Seagate? I just sent one back (a replacment drive to start out with) that would partition but would not format. All indications From Seagate Diskwizard said it was OK but after formating it windows would still say it wasn't formated and ask to format it said yes and it would fail.:4-angerma

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

That is a very old drive and that company is now owned by Maxtor and supported by Maxtor. Go to the Maxtor website and download their utility.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.