Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems installing a number of programs (eg. TeamView, Adobe Reader and Adobe Creative Cloud).

I have spent 5 hours on support calls with Adobe, but they have been unable to help. They have concluded that there is a problem with the Windows installation, and have suggested that I contact Microsoft and the computer manufacturer. Somehow, I don't feel that that is the right way forward!

I am running Win7 Home Premium, and when I attempt to install the programs I am logged in as an adminstrator with full control over all the folders that I am using.

Examples of the error messages that I get are:
  • TeamViewer - Verification of your TeamViewer version failed! TeamViewer will quit for security reasons. Please reinstall Team Viewer.
  • Adobe Cloud - We've encountered the following issues: Installer was unable to access a critical file/directory. Please try installing again.
  • Adobe Reader - Certificate Authentication Failed

I am wondering whether the problem could be caused by a Service being disabled (I attach a list of Services), permissions or certificates, but my knowledge stops there. Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated. (I would prefer to avoid a full reinstallation of Windows!)

Attachments

·
TSF Emeritus
8,370 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a useful site for processes is here
» Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations

provides all the services running for each version of windows - would be worth checking through

also do a chkdsk and see if the Disk is OK - if so
then try SFC /scannow

Check Disk - chkdsk
Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log - Windows 7 Help Forums
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Help Forums
Thank you for your response, Etaf.

I used the Black Viper link to check the services. The only differences between the services on my PC and the defaul Win7 Hone Premium default setup are:

• The following services are not installed: Windows Media Center Receiver Service, Windows Media Center Scheduler Service and Fax
  • The following services are disabled: Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, Disk Defragmenter and Superfetch

I cannot imagine that these would have any effect on the current issue.

chkdsk reported no errors. SFC /scannow did correct 4 errors, but this did not resolve the issue.

So, I'm afraid that there's no progress so far. Any further suggestions would be more than welcome!

·
TSF Emeritus
8,370 Posts
did installations ever work ok
perhaps you can go back to a date before the issue started

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restore PC to an Earlier Date & Time

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

• Click in the radio button Choose a different restore point
  • Click Next
  • put a tick in Show more restore points
  • Pick a Date before this happened
  • Click Next
This should restore the PC to that time & date

you may need to use safemode to do the restore. As the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu will appear - choose safemode

windows 7
System Restore - Windows 7 Help Forums

------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did installations ever work ok
perhaps you can go back to a date before the issue started
[
That's a good suggestion - but I 've already tried it.

Yes, the installation did work when I first set up the PC 3 months ago. However, there were only 8 restore points available - 6 created during the last couple of weeks (since the problem arose), and 2 dating back 3 months, to when I was setting up the PC. I have done so much since then that it would probably be as bad as having to reload Windows from scratch. So another alternative would be preferable.

·
TSF Emeritus
8,370 Posts
i would go back and at least see if that works - you should be able to unrestore
Undo System Restore

at least if you go back and it works OK - you know its something that has been added since

although data is not affected, I would still ensure you have a full backup of any important data

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right. I'll set some time aside for it, in case something goes wrong. And perhaps that would better than a complete re-installation.
OK, I've restored back to how the system was 3 months ago, just as I was completing the intial system build . . . . . and the Creative Cloud installation still will not run! (I can't remember whether I first installed Creative Cloud before or after I created that restore, but it was around that time, and it's only in the last couple of weeks that I have been aware of any system problem).

I'm now facing the bleak prospect of reloading Windows and, much worse than that, spending several days reloading and customizing my various applications.

But if there is anything further that I can try, I would welcome the input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been working with System Restore, with some strange results:
  • When I tried to restore back to the most recent restore point, the restore failed.
  • I repeated the process, and this time the PC was unable to boot, and went into recovery mode. It completed the recovery, and I was back at the most recent restore point.
I then saved various program configuration settings, and went back to a restore point that was created 3 months ago. This time, I was able to run Creative Cloud installer! So I spent around 3 hours applying program updates and various saved configuration settings, and installed Creative Cloud. The result is that my PC is now fully working, and fully up to date, without my needing to reload Windows. A very satisfactory result, without too much pain. (It would be nice to know how the problem arose.)

I've now taken a registry backup and created a new restore point, and next I will take an image backup.

Thank you for the help and support.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.