Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new motherboard (Intel D845EBG2) so later down the road I could upgrade to a faster P4 with a 533MHz FSB. When I installed the mobo and started the computer, it displayed info about my video card as usuall, then instead of running the POST, it went to screen displaying INTEL DESKTOP BOARDS, and thats it. I retarted the computer and tried to enter the BIOS pressing F2, but it wouldn't let me, just went to that screen again. I then repeatedly restarted the computer and pressing different keys everytime. The only time something different happened was when I pressed ` and Esc. Doing that displayed my cpu type, keyboard, and mouse, then it froze up. I can't seem to get the computer to get to my bootloader(to select Windows or Linux). I put my old mobo back in and everything works as usual. Is there anything "special" I have to do to get it to work? Any suggestions are greatly apreciated!

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,284 Posts
Cabana, check the "clear CMOS" jumper and make sure it's not set to the "clear" position. That could do it....

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Cabana, maybe you can set it to clear and clear out the bios and start again...or just take the jumper off and start that way, see what happens...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that too, but the same thing happened. The problem is it won't even get to the point where I can enter the bios, except when I press ` and Esc. There it does the same thing, listing the processor, mouse, and keyboard. And at the bottom it says press F2 for setup(bios) or F10(something about a network). I tried pressing both and practically every key posssible, it just freezes up. It doesn't continue(testing memory and ide devices and then bootloader). I thank everyone for your help and any other suggestions.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I just ran across some interesting problems installing an AOpen AX4B-533, which is based on the Intel Chipset. It got very confused, and I had to clear the CMOS with the jumper several times before I finally got it running properly. One problem appears to be a bad modem card that was scrambling it's brain, and it also didn't like my ATI video board. When all else fails, remove all the cards, clear the CMOS, and start over. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give that a try, but my current mobo is by Hoxtek(which I was told was made by Intel, I know it has Intel chips on it) and everything is fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't know anything about bios updates, but doesn't the computer have to run the OS first, before an update can be installed? My problem is that it won't even run the bios. Shouldn't the current bios be able to atleast do that?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I put my new mobo back in was going to try to play around with the cmos jumpers, but now I have a new problem. Now it won't power up, except for a small green LED lights up. Again, I put my older mobo back in and everything is fine. Does anyone know what might be the problem there, or did a buy a crap-in-the-box?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, the small green light is probably the small part that is powered up all the time with an ATX MB. I'd start by checking the connection to the power switch, since it may not be on the correct pins. It's easy on many motherboards to miss by a pin and have an inert system. :)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
just for kicks, what kind of memory do you have installed ? try switching memory sticks around and see what happends ?

here are specs on the memory for that mobo :

2.5 V (only) 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
Unbuffered, unregistered single-sided or double-sided DIMMs
Maximum total system memory: 2 GB; minimum total system memory: 64 MB
200/266 MHz DDR SDRAM DIMMs only
Serial Presence Detect (SPD)
Suspend to RAM
Non-ECC and ECC DIMMs

and of course, a note :

Note:
To be fully compliant with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications, the Desktop Board should be populated with DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. This allows the BIOS to read the SPD data and program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance. If non-SPD memory is installed, the BIOS will attempt to correctly configure the memory settings, but performance and reliability may be impacted or the DIMMs may not function under the determined frequency.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried switching the slots(that was one of the first things I tried) it was in, if that is what your talking about. As for the specs of the memory(its just one stick), all I know is that its a Nanya, 184 pin,PC2100, 512MB. As for the SPD, I am not sure. I do have another question though, the cpu I have in my current mobo is a P4, 400MHz FSB. The new mobo has a 533MHz FSB, but I was told(where I got the board from) that the cpu would work, but as 400MHz FSB. I was just curious if anyone has heard otherwise. Today I am going to the store where I bought it, to see if they can get it working.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I am thinking it is the memory. I took my mobo to the store. They put their own cpu, memory, and video card in, and it worked. What supposed to happen is after the Intel Desktop Boards screen, its supposed to boot from my bootable disk that came with the board. My problem is that it freezes up before it can boot. I am going to take my whole system to the store to make sure it is the memory.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem Solved

It is the smallest problems that give you the biggest headaches! The problem was my cd-rom was jumpered as slave, not a problem for my old mobo, but this one is a little picky. Set it to master and it didn't freeze up. Re-installed Windows and everything is fine. Thanks for everyone's support.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.