Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem installing certain programs

827 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  CCT 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have had a certain problem when trying to install various programs recently. It has happened mainly with small applications, but so often that i think it must be a general problem rather than specific to the programs themselves. When i open the installer .exe file I get the hourglass as if it is doing something.........then nothing. No message or anything. Could this be a windows installer problem? Anyway, I tried installing them in safe mode, and some of them worked, but one gave me the error message "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation".

I know this is two problems and I don't know if they are related, but if someone could solve the general problem of getting the installer packages to run, I would be extremely grateful. It only seems to happen with smaller applications. I can install things such as Nero without a problem.

Thanks

#3 ·
Yes, have tried logging on as myself with administrator privileges, and also logging on in safe mode as administrator. Have also tried downloading new version of windows installer, but no luck. Also, some programs won't uninstall either, again it only seems to apply to small applications.

#6 ·
Ok, firstly, thank you for your help. I have downloaded the windows installer cleanup utility, and ironically, it won't run. Same thing happens, i try to run it, it loads for about a second, and then nothing happens.

I also checked the registry, and found the path you specified, and there is nothing listed under installer\products there are several other folders under products, but they are all just numbers, and look like serial numbers or something. Thanks again.

#8 ·
If the Installer Service is running per the above from spike2me, then;

Beside each + sign there is a folder icon - left click on that and it opens to display a number of information lines about just what that entry is for.

One of those is ProductName.

In any case, since all these things don't want to install, it is likely you have some major registry issues that could be viral.

If a System restore won't work, the try a Rapair Install.

After that, one way or the other, go to the Spyware section here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.