Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Hong Kong user. I use traceroute from my computer to connect to a Taiwan website. However, I find that the route path is very strange. The packets pass through German and then go to United States and then go to Taiwan. Why do the packets pass through the far hops and then go to the destination? Why don't the packet go to the Taiwan hops directly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am not sure that the problem is caused by earthquake. I try to access some taiwan websites(e.g. www.gov.tw, www.yahoo.com.tw) The packets pass through Taiwan website directly. However, I try to trace some of the websites. The packets pass through U.K. and then Egypt and finally go back to Taiwan. Some of them pass through Germany and then U.S. and then finally Taiwan. The packets travel around the world before reach the destination. I don't think the paths are logical. How can I solve this problem?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Not all the undersea cables were affected. Maybe the websites that have the direct path are on the uneffected cables. There is nothing you can do to change the path that your packets take. This has to do with what entries are in the route tables in the back bone. Something that you really have no control over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.