Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a local network that would like to set up public wireless that is not associated with the local network. What would be the easiest way of going about this. Also, if they wanted to move to also have a wireless connection that connected to the internal network how would i go about doing this. If you need more information on our LAN setupi can get as much as i can.
Thanks
-Dinny

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
What do you hope to accomplish with this separate wireless network? Is this a residence or a business? Are you creating an Internet Hotspot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actaully working for my church. What they would like to have is a place where students and such can come and hang out and have free public internet, but not have access to their internal church network. Another concern is the firewall/filter set up. But we will deal with that when it comes up.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
IMO, it would be better and safer to have two completely different and separate networks. Kids will be kids so you really do not want them sharing the churches network.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, what exactly would that look like? Would a switch and split the connection directly from the modem and have 1 go into a switch to the network and the other go into a wireless modem? Would haveing separate subnets work?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
two different internet connections so there will not be problems.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Actually, what you can do to totally isolate the "real" network from the "play" network is to daisy-chain two routers. The "play" network is on the first router connected directly to the ISP modem. On that router, you'll want one with bandwidth management to allow you to limit how much bandwidth can be used by the kids connecting. The secondary router services the "real" network where useful work is accomplished. There is no need to buy a separate service, and that will certainly run up the expense of providing this service. I doubt the church has money to burn, right? :smile:

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
so your suggesting getting an entire other internet connection?
yes, that is my suggestion. as I said before, in spite of this being a church, kids will be kids and you do not want them hacking past any security you may setup on the network.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Like I said, two routers will give you as much isolation from the "kids" as a separate ISP account, but it'll be much cheaper...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.