Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres my question/problem:

I have an HP laptop with XP home, a desktop with XP home, one HP PSC 1610 All-in-One, and one wireless linksys 54 G router. How exactly can I print from the laptop using my wireless router, now the desktop does not have a wireless card and is wired to the router, also the printer isnt a special networking printer. But my dad asked at the store when he got the printer that he could "share" the printer over the network, and use the desktop as a "base"; so that as long as the "base" was on and running we could print wirelessly from the laptop.

So my dad opend up control panel -> printer/faxer -> then clicked on share printer. It opened up with XP has disabled this function for security reasons. It gives us 2 options to set up a new network, or turn it on any way, but that would leave the network viable to security threats.

So Im wondering if there is some way to integrate our wireless network to "share" the printer, or to set up a whole new network one that cant access the net so it would be safer...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :sayyes:

·
Registered
906 Posts
How is your network setup? Do you have a cable or DSL modem that is connected to a router that controls your network?

·
Registered
906 Posts
The router has a built in firewall and unless you have opened it to the world by forwarding ports or turning on DMZ hosting for things like online games there is little danger of a security breach.

I would allow the printer on the network as it is probably less prone to attacks than the ports on your computers. As long as you keep your network secure behind the router there is little risk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
in response to #2

I have a motorala SB4200 cable modem wired to the router and my desktop is wired to the router, then my laptop connects wirelessly.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Save your headaches and get a print server for the printer. It cost a few bucks but will be worth it in the long run.

Try to stick with a HP print server, a USB print server like the JetDirect 175x is probably a good option. You can get these on ebay for around $40.

I just grabbed a 175x Version C new in the box shipped for $42!

JamesO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have the same config with a different problem.
Once you have the wireless set up, make sure both machines are in the same "workgroup". If the 1610 is shown in the desktop "faxes and printers" just go to the add prnter wizard on the laptop and follow directions. Make sure you use the option that browses for printers under the workgroup. Your dekstop printer should be there. Click and it will add and then make it default. Workgroup is found by right clicking on "my computer" on both machines

It does work as i had it going for a month but changed security and have had all kinds of problems and now I show it with an incorrect name in the wizard and i don't know how to get rid of the incorect ame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.