Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is pretty urgent: :sad:

The problem is I need to log in with an login name and password to the distant computer which has a shared printer.
When trying to print a document in one of my home network computers, I get "Document is pending" near the small printer icon on the right.

The printer is configured properly in the computer which has the printer connected to. Also for that printer, properties under "Security", all is "Allowed" for "Everyone".

Only when I log in with the same login name and password of the computer with the printer, at "My Network Places" icon and the computer needed to connect to (enter user and pass), the printer prints the document.

Thanks so much, :smooch:
John.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MoreDetails

Alright,

I am using a Netgear WGR614 v5 Router (Wirelss).

The main computer is connected directly to the router and has an HP printer attached to.

I have another computer, which is wirelessly connected to the router.

Both computers are using Windows XP. The first has Media Center and the other Home Edition.

I used windows to configure both my wireless network and home office network. (Instead of the Netgear's)

Umm, anything else? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Do you have the same login name and password on both machines?

If not, add an account to the desktop with the login and password you use on the wireless machine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still Experiencing Difficulty

Well, I tried doing that.

Only the problem remains.

Just to make sure, I added a user to the desktop computer, the one with the printer attached to. The user had the same name and password as the one wireless one.
If I understood correctly, that doesn't work.

What should I do?

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
As Terrister says, if you have a matching account on the printer's machine, it should have the same effect as logging in with the matching name to the existing account. Are you sure the account you created had permissions to the printer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still...

I do have a matching account on the printer's machine, but still connecting to the printer requires explicit connection to the printer's machine from the remote computer. This, by going to My Network Places and entering the printer's machine with the log in name and password (have to type it every time).
Have any idea what to do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
when i was networking printers before, I had to turn on the computer that the printer is connected to first. then from any networked computer, add a network printer then use it. But basically I had to keep the "printer computer" on to print from my main computer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Print server

My laster printer does not have a network connection. Yeah, kinda lame but that's what we have to deal with.
Anything else we could do? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
dcraftjr said:
when i was networking printers before, I had to turn on the computer that the printer is connected to first. then from any networked computer, add a network printer then use it. But basically I had to keep the "printer computer" on to print from my main computer.
That is the way my present systems are set up But since they are 6 feet apart it's not that big of deal. You do not have to log on toeather one of them.
My laster printer does not have a network connection. Yeah, kinda lame but that's what we have to deal with.
Anything else we could do?
A lot of these print servers attach to the printer port on the back of the printer.
For an example this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833315036
Just plug them into the printer and attach to the router. :sayyes:
You can ever get them in USB.
NOTE: I leave my printers on 24-7, Just never think about turning them off. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well

Well, I guess a print server is the ideal solution. Only problem is that is costs money and not necessary. I don't mind having the printer's machine on, it's on anyway most of the time.
I just need to fix this login thing.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If you do not have a pressing need to have the login. Then go into control panel, users and paswords, on the first box there is a check box to require log in. uncheck that box and no more log in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The voyage continues

Don't have that option.
Its WinXP Media Center.

Anyway, it's not what i'm trying to do.
Okay, the printer's machine is the computer i'm working with (Desktop computer). It has a printer, and I have a login name and password to access it. I type it in the blue "Welcome Screen".
The computer is attached with a cable to a wireless router.
On the other side of the apartment, I have a labtop computer.
Both computer's are on the same wireless network and home/office network.
They connect to the internet through the router.
I activated sharing on the printer from the printer's machine.
Now, when I try to print - it fails. Only after logging in to the printer's machine from My Network Places, with a user on the printer's machine, it allows you to print.
I would like to still be able to work at the current configuration only allow the labtop to be able to print without any login.I tried creating a user as the one on the labtop, does not work.
It says "access denied". and without that extra user, it would ask for user name and pass.
I don't know what do to, i've looked into any visible places with security options and enables network computers to access this resource.

What should I do?
Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.