Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm the manager for a small (12 client pc's) computer lab at LSU. WE have always had problems with our printers, and I have tried all day today to sit down and figure this thing out, but its driving me crazy. I try to add a printer (Tektronix Phaser 750N) to my client PCs, but it tells me "Access denied - unable to connect." I have successfully added it to all of them though, but when I log off of my administrator account or my restricted user account, and log back on, then connection gives me the same error message, "Access denied - unable to connect." I first thought it was rights and priviledges but I changed those to include the Users group, and that didnt work, plus the Administrator account does not have access to this printer either. It is located on the network, but I go through another office computer to serve as a print server. I just don't understand how it successfully connects when I add it to the individual computerlab pc's, but then gets screwed up when I log off then back on. I am running Windows 2000 Professional. Please help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm no expert on this, but if your using firewall software maybe this could be the problem. If you are using firewall software make sure it is configurable for Printer sharing.

Also make sure that "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" is checked in the Properties of the Network connection.

Finally make sure that in the printer you are trying to share is registered as Shared, enter the Printers control panel, go into the printer properties and select the Sharing tab.

A few quick questions also if this doesn't produce any results;
  1. Does file sharing work on the network?
  2. How do the computers (if they do) connect to the internet?

·
Registered
15 Posts
zig2217 said:
Hey everyone,

I'm the manager for a small (12 client pc's) computer lab at LSU. WE have always had problems with our printers, and I have tried all day today to sit down and figure this thing out, but its driving me crazy. I try to add a printer (Tektronix Phaser 750N) to my client PCs, but it tells me "Access denied - unable to connect." I have successfully added it to all of them though, but when I log off of my administrator account or my restricted user account, and log back on, then connection gives me the same error message, "Access denied - unable to connect." I first thought it was rights and priviledges but I changed those to include the Users group, and that didnt work, plus the Administrator account does not have access to this printer either. It is located on the network, but I go through another office computer to serve as a print server. I just don't understand how it successfully connects when I add it to the individual computerlab pc's, but then gets screwed up when I log off then back on. I am running Windows 2000 Professional. Please help.
I am having similar problems with a HP LaserJet 1200 PCL 6. The only thing different from Zig's problem is that a client PC running XP is able to successfully print to that printer. The clients running Windows 2000 Professional cannot.

kc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.