Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start in the beginning. I have a printer running off my own computer (off the uSB port) that was shared by both kids computers (off the router ports) and my wife's laptop (off her wireless also plugged into the router). I had problems with my computer and needed to reinstall the entire OS (all run XP/sp2). Now no one can see my machine in network places. Reset each machine changing the work group from MSHOME to FAMILY. Now the kids computers and the wife's laptop see each other but still don't see me (I also changed obviously to "FAMILY"). The odd thing though is that on my machine when I clik on network place I get this message:

"Family is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I am the only user and the administrator so no clue why it indicates this message but I think something is messed up in the registry preventing me from setting up my machine correctly.

Any help is welcome.

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
Disable all firewalls for a test.

PING between your machine and one other each way by name and IP address. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update

actually stumbled on the fact that adding nwlink ipx netbios as a protocoll would fix it and sure enough now three machines see each othr. All 3 hard wired untis off the router see each other. Now I stil need to get my wife's laptop to se my machine. I need to verify if it sees the other two machines or just is missing mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.