Tech Support banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A protest movement is needed, to force legislators and consumer protection agencies to put a halt to the abuse of printer consumers by engineering planned obsolescence into inkjet printers. They do this with ink waste pads and purge counters. I have yet to see any statement in any advertisement that "This printer is only good for 1,200 purge cycles and then you have to throw it away". Most of us know this is happening but we never learn it up front before we buy. The practice should be illegal. There is no reason the manufacturer can't make all these printers with a easily removable waste ink pad that can be cleaned or replaced at the owner's option, and make the purge counter resetable by the user. The ONLY reason they don't do it is greed. Any thoughts on this?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
Purge Counters can be reset. The consumer friendly feature you desire would be good until someone claims the printer spewed ink all over a million dollar rug and goes to court. That's the other side of the coin.

·
Premium Member
19,654 Posts
Never gotten to that point, I think it would be the same for most consumers if they even do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purge Counters can be reset. The consumer friendly feature you desire would be good until someone claims the printer spewed ink all over a million dollar rug and goes to court. That's the other side of the coin.
That answer is bogus and sounds like it comes from the manufacturer. Products are sold with disclaimers all the time, and people are in a constant battle with engineers to find a work-around. If an auto manuf were allowed to treat the consumer like the printer companies, cars would go 100 thousand miles and quit to be sent to the junkyard. The purpose of the anti user repair and service is greed alone, and everybody knows it.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
If you really feel strongly on the subject, see if Consumers Union is interested . Frankly, I've never heard anybody else being active on the subject. As for myself, I haven't used inkjet since the 90s when I also junked dot matrix. Both my current laser printers, one color, one B & W have been in service since we moved here in 2004.

Reactions: sobeit

·
Premium Member
19,654 Posts
That answer is bogus and sounds like it comes from the manufacturer. Products are sold with disclaimers all the time, and people are in a constant battle with engineers to find a work-around. If an auto manuf were allowed to treat the consumer like the printer companies, cars would go 100 thousand miles and quit to be sent to the junkyard. The purpose of the anti user repair and service is greed alone, and everybody knows it.
Why ask for thoughts when you are going to criticize those you disagree with?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,227 Posts
Low-end printers are throw-away items. Similar to those 120V drill motors, skill saws etc. at Harbor Freight that are designed to last no more than 24 hours. Use 'em till they quit and buy another. If you want better quality, it is available. Heck, there are printers available that can print storerooms full of paper. Probably cost a bit more than you would be willing to spend though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you really feel strongly on the subject, see if Consumers Union is interested . Frankly, I've never heard anybody else being active on the subject. As for myself, I haven't used inkjet since the 90s when I also junked dot matrix. Both my current laser printers, one color, one B & W have been in service since we moved here in 2004.
I'm surprised I didn't know about consumers union. Here is a memo I sent to their "Tips" email:
"
Consumers all over the world are being cheated out of the full value of Inkjet Printers they paid full price for, by the four major printer makers of inkjet printers. Nowhere in the advertising for these printers are the buyers told the printers are engineered to fail after a fixed number of cycles or uses, but that's what's happening.
Inkjet printers are designed so that ink is regularly squirted into a waste pad or waste tank. The waste pads are not replaceable by the user and replacement by the manufacturer is cost prohibitive. They are engineered that way. And the printers are set to stop working when a pre calculated number of pages or preset number of purges (or combination of both) has been reached, making the printer unusable. They call it "end of life" which is the same as planned obsolescence.
I contend It would cost no more to engineer and manufacture those printers with replaceable waste pads that the user can replace himself if the printer is still useable. At the same time user maintenance routines should allow the user to reset the purge counter to start the watch all over again.
One excuse I have seen is that if the manufacturer doesn't design it to work that way, ink would spill all over the user's desk top or carpet, etc. That's bunk! Consumer products are sold all the time with cautions and warnings. Manufacturer's liability ends with the addition of these caveats.
There has to be an end to what manufacturers can do under the guise of consumer safety. This is not a consumer safety measure on the part of the manufacturers, but instead a greedy method of planned obsolescence so the printer has to be replaced as too costly to service, even when it's still a useable machine. It's similar to and related to the right to repair in the tech world.
I would like a reply."

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,227 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've gotta agree Corday...I also switched from Inkjet and Dot Matrix to LaserJet MANY YEARS ago (I don't use Color, only Black and White). It's a bit more expensive initially and the supplies are more expensive (but at fewer intervals so it evens out). The frustration level is GREATLY reduced.

·
Registered
156 Posts
DANG!!! You got about 100K in printers! Since 2004? A laser COLOR printer? Wow!!! In '04, those things cost more than gold! I remember trying to get one from DELL in '04, and they didn't have one. I searched, and that was the most expensive item I saw! I think they were around 1200, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Even MORE irritating is when your printer goes the distance for you but then you can't find the stupid cartridges any more! I'd like to petition that in addition to the pad/count issue, the makers should be held to maintaining the same cartridges (size/shape) across machines-- including the newest. There's no reason to change an ink cartridge by .1 cm (just so you can't use what's already available).

·
Registered
32 Posts
A protest movement is needed, to force legislators and consumer protection agencies to put a halt to the abuse of printer consumers by engineering planned obsolescence into inkjet printers. They do this with ink waste pads and purge counters. I have yet to see any statement in any advertisement that "This printer is only good for 1,200 purge cycles and then you have to throw it away". Most of us know this is happening but we never learn it up front before we buy. The practice should be illegal. There is no reason the manufacturer can't make all these printers with a easily removable waste ink pad that can be cleaned or replaced at the owner's option, and make the purge counter resetable by the user. The ONLY reason they don't do it is greed. Any thoughts on this?
You are not being forced to buy an ink jet printer of ANY kind. To avoid the whole stupid problem, get a laser printer. If you only need black/white printing, you can get a GREAT printer that will print 1000 or more pages on a single (full capacity... these printers ship with a low capacity toner cart, good for 250-500 pages depending on brand. For full color printing... more like $250 and up. I cannot BELIEVE how fast ink is used up by EVERY ink jet printer. Even if I turn off color printing with an ink jet, the printer still empties the color ink carts when printing black and white--and the black ink of course. The really annoying this is that the ink itself is dirt cheap and the cartridges are pretty cheap too... until they are filled with ink and put in packaging for sale. I went laser years and years ago and have never been happier with home printing. I would pay $60-$70 for 4 ink carts that seemed to end up with one color going empty before the other carts after just 200 pages or so -- it might take me 2 years to print 200 pages. The matching name-brand toner cart for the laser printer with a "full" toner charge runs around $50-$60, but it prints at least 1500 pages (black and white). Just turning the ink jet printer on every day would empty ink carts without ever printing a page. That's not a printer, that's a revenue stream I don't need to participate in.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,647 Posts
Actually right now during the pandemic we are having even a worse problem with printers and several other components,
but inkjet printers seem to be the most obvious example of this practice. With few inkjet printers coming into this country in almost a year, retailers seem to have provided to make sure they don't lose money on sales so they simply doubled the retail prices of whatever inkjet printers they had in stock and it is really annoying. I stopped selling printers because I simply can't screw the users that badly when I know what the prices were on most of these models 6 months ago.
I totally agree with Corday BTW and use lasers almost 100% myself. I have even noticed lately where they never were much good for actual photos, I did a few recently that were actually way better than my inkjet could do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A protest movement is needed, to force legislators and consumer protection agencies to put a halt to the abuse of printer consumers by engineering planned obsolescence into inkjet printers. They do this with ink waste pads and purge counters. I have yet to see any statement in any advertisement that "This printer is only god for 1,200 purge cycles and then you have to throw it away". Most of us know this is happening but we never learn it up front before we buy. The practice should be illegal. There is no reason the manufacturer can't make all these printers with a easily removable waste ink pad that can be cleaned or replaced at the owner's option, and make the purge counter resetable by the user. The ONLY reason they don't do it is greed. Any thoughts on this?
I could not agree more, Its not only Printers But all Electronics ,and White goods. Phone, all should have the same interchangeable cords.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You are not being forced to buy an ink jet printer of ANY kind. To avoid the whole stupid problem, get a laser printer. If you only need black/white printing, you can get a GREAT printer that will print 1000 or more pages on a single (full capacity... these printers ship with a low capacity toner cart, good for 250-500 pages depending on brand. For full color printing... more like $250 and up. I cannot BELIEVE how fast ink is used up by EVERY ink jet printer. Even if I turn off color printing with an ink jet, the printer still empties the color ink carts when printing black and white--and the black ink of course. The really annoying this is that the ink itself is dirt cheap and the cartridges are pretty cheap too... until they are filled with ink and put in packaging for sale. I went laser years and years ago and have never been happier with home printing. I would pay $60-$70 for 4 ink carts that seemed to end up with one color going empty before the other carts after just 200 pages or so -- it might take me 2 years to print 200 pages. The matching name-brand toner cart for the laser printer with a "full" toner charge runs around $50-$60, but it prints at least 1500 pages (black and white). Just turning the ink jet printer on every day would empty ink carts without ever printing a page. That's not a printer, that's a revenue stream I don't need to participate in.
Re-read what I wrote. I wasn't complaining about the cost, I was taking issue with constant, small changes to the cartridges AND the fact that when you get a good inkjet (like mine) and it DOES last, you then find they stop making the cartridges. The same thing DOES happen to lasers, btw. At the time I bought my injet printer, to buy a colour laser with scanner was extremely cost-prohibitive. My inkjet has been running now (knock-on-wood) for about ten years. I get plenty of pages as I always run in draft mode. I have colour for the occasional photo & I have a good flatbed+top-load scanner. It cost $99, ten years ago-- doesn't owe me a thing. I also have a B&W laser which I bought 5 years ago as a backup (for $18 on a super-sale). I'm familiar with how printers function-- that doesn't negate the valid complaints by the OP & others here.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,647 Posts
The laser advice is so right. I had a Brother black laser I used for 98% of most of my business printing for over 15 years.
I kept buying replacements for it I never needed so I resold them. It still worked when I threw it away because it was just sooo slow! Cartridges were $44 and 2500 print jobs was the worst I ever did. Now that I see my Lexmark Laser can print photos better than my Canon Pixma inkjet (as an ex photgrapher I can tell you Canon Pixma were the best rated for photos in my book), I am done with inkjets they make no sense. Ink is 10 times as expensive and there are no leaks and mess from laser printers as the cartridges contain no water so they last forever as well. Now I have a Lexmark CS 517DE that prints photos perfectly though I can't say any other make and models do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts