Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

I took my computer in for service to erradicate a nasty trojan that snuck past my virus protection software. They had to completely wipe my hard drive clean and then reinstalled windows xp os.

I brought the computer home and have been reloading programs and trying to reconnect printers, etc.

Anyway, I have a crazy problem. My printer ports keep disappearing! My main printer has been installed and it works fine right after the computer is booted up. then the next time I try to print it doesn't. When looking at the properties of the printer in the control panel--it is easy to see why the printer can't print---there are NO ports listed. It is really connected to LPT1 and if I restart computer then it will be fine with the first thing that prints (usually whatever didn't print from prior to the shut down). All of the different ports show up as they should be. Then they disappear again!!!

The tech already tried a remote access repair to my computer. But it didn't work---he didn't know what the problem was and all he did was reinstall the printer (which I have done many times) and chose a different driver. Doesn't matter--it is fine when computer first comes on then....gone. even if I just put it into standby--when I wake it up---no printer. :-(

Also, my secondary printer which is a USB connection has the exact same problem so it is not the printer.

Any suggestions?? Has anyone ever heard of this problem before/

thanks in advance for any assistance

Cyndi

·
Registered
40,758 Posts
LPT1 would be a parallel port computer with the wide adapter that plugs into the back of he computer. Go to Printers and Faxes. right click your printer/Properties/Ports what is the port that is listed for your printer? Is it LPT1? go to the drivers tab, what does the driver say (PL5 or PL6)? you can update the driver from the manufacturers support/download drivers site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is the crazy thing--in the properties/ports listing for the printer---there are sometimes NO ports listed at all!! They are there when the computer first boots up and then later.....gone! My service tech worked on it remotely again last evening and he checked out the registry and said he couldn't find any errors. He reset printer spooler and other things and so far I still have the ports listed and the LPT1 printer is still working. I am keeping my fingers crossed---if it IS fixed he doesn't know exactly WHAT it was that he did that fixed the problem.

The other USB printer is still not communicating with computer. I have uninstalled it (for about the ten time) and and going to try a different USB printer to see if I have the same problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem with yours is the that printer spooler is failing.
How to Restart Printer Spooler

1 Open the "Start" menu and click on the "Control Panel" icon.

2 Double-click on the "Administrative Tools" icon in the main Control Panel window.

3 Double-click on the "Services" shortcut icon, which will open a list of all computer services.

4 Use the scroll bar on the right side of the window to find the "Print Spooler" controls.

5 Click on the "Restart the Service" option to reset the Printer Spooler. You should now be able to print documents again.

·
Registered
40,758 Posts
As for your USB printer. go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and uninstall any of your USB printers software. Go to Printers and Faxes and if your USB printer is there right click it and Delete it. Unplug the USB cable from the computer end. Restart the computer. Now download a new driver from the Printer manufacturers support/download drivers site. When it says to plug in the USB cable do so. It should find the printer and install the driver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.