Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dell 962 AIO works fine on another computer.

same cable to printer, same drivers installed on a Dell DT XP and the file goes to the print xfer window, it says it is printing, then it is cleared out but nothing gets to the printer. When it "finishes" transferring the status flashes "deleting" on the file line in the window before the line is removed.

Drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled. There was an issue with notepad opening a .vbs file but i fixed that.

not a virus; system files were scanned with SFC; printer is recognized by computer; printer works on another computer using same cable, same drivers

what could be the issue????????

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Are you able to print a Test Page?

Go to Printers & Faxes, right click on the Dell printer, choose properties, then choose Print Test Page.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
as i said, when i print, the spooler appears to send it to the printer. The last thing i see is "deleting", which is not normal.

what I believe from reading other posts is that the status function isn't working and the spooler can't get a status so it deletes the print job. Entirely strange - but it is windows.

anyway, i think the issue is that during the driver install for some reason it gave an error that it could not find a file - though it was in the driver folder - but it finished the install anyway. It recognized the printer and set it up. the filename suggests that it has to do with status.

when the same driver file was installed on another computer, same OS=XP, the install had no problems and the printer works.

My theory is that a corrupted reg entry is causing it not to find that file - which is weird because it finds the rest of them.

So the question now becomes - how is this being caused - where would that reg entry be - why is it just this file??????

thx

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Printing a Test Page uses a tad different path than printing any other document - That is why I asked if you can print a Test Page..

Which file couldn't the install find? How are you trying to install? CD or a install file from the internet?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did not try a test page - i tried a txt file.

don't remember the exact name but something like dlbstat.exe

while installing from the saved driver file from Dell it popped up a window saying it could not find that file, but the install finished. when the printer was plugged in it recognized it and installed it.

everything was the same on the LT and it all worked - no error during install and the txt file prints.

Because there are other issues associated with this machine involving changes to reg entries that opened a vbs file with notepad instead of wscript.exe - and I think there might be one more, I was looking for a lead as to why it thinks that one file is missing when the rest of them open just fine.

It is indeed strange.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Could you try printing a Test Page?

I also need to know the exact file that is failing. Uninstall the drivers and reinstall them and note down the exact file name.

Also, does the printer have software associated with the drivers? Or does it just install drivers?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had this problem on another computer. Have you tried to install the driver more than once on this machine? Uninstalling the driver after one or more have been installed means just uninstalling will not eradicate the drivers altogether. Multiple drivers of the same type can cancel each other out, I had to get someone to control my PC remotely.
Here's what he did:
Opened Registry.exe (regedit in Run)
Looked for all the drivers related to the printer.
Deleted them all.
Downloaded the driver again.
After he did this, the printer worked, and without fault. It's still working on the same machine today.
Good Luck

EDIT - I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF. CONTACT YOUR SUPPLIER'S TECH SUPPORT PERSONELL TO DO THIS REMOTELY.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.