Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
System: Asus P4C800 D, Win XP SP2
Original configuration:
Primary IDE: Master:Western Digital 120G, (drive c:)
Slave: Western Digital 80G (drive d:)
Secondary IDE: empty

New configuration:
Primary IDE: Unchanged
Secondary IDE: Master: Western Digital 300G
Slave: empty

Problem: When I installed the WD 300G on the secondary IDE channel as the 3rd drive on the system, it showed up, without any trouble, as drive d:, but the slave (80G) drive on the primary IDE channel started showing a "primary slave hard drive error" on boot up and XP will not recognize it. None of the connections or jumper settings on the primary channel have been changed.

Call me confused. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terrister/keymaker: Thanks for the replies. I used the link to calculate the power use. It came to 347 W. I have an Antec 430 W power supply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another follow up note on the power issue. I unplugged the 300 G drive on the secondary IDE channel from the power supply and rebooted with just the two original drives on the primary channel. I get the same "primary slave disk error" message.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Greetings:

Give this a try and see if the bios wakes up and smells the coffee ?????

let us know . if this doesnt work ~~ I would try another quality 80 pin IDE drive cable

regards

joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried taking the drive out and putting it into a USB hard drive case (which works fine because I currently have a WD 160 G drive in there). Unfortunately, the 80 G drive is not recognized at all.

Maybe the thing is DOA? Yet, it is strange that when it was installed on the IDE channel the BIOS recognized that there was a drive present even though it had an error.

Is there any hope to get the data off this drive or should I sell it to the Navy for use as an anchor? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Download the manufactors utility and diag disk. Run the test. This will let you and us know what we need to do next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.