Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
referring to thread: http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38527

I am having similar problems, I have two dvd-rw drives, and two hard drives. The two hard drives are both hooked up to one ribbon. The first hard drive is a samsung 80 gig, the second hard drive is a 120 gig western digital. As with the first poster, no matter what hard drive I have on any end of the ribbon, it only detects the primary slave. My motherboard is an asus a8n-sli premium.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
What happens when you put the western digital on the cable all by itself / in the primary drive connector (very end of cable) with no jumper caps ???????

then if it detects that OK / add the other drive as slave

you could also remove the power plug from both drives / shutdown the computer / then clear the cmos (see mobo manual) then reboot with no drives / shutdown again / add the primary boot drive / shut down again / reboot with slave connected see what gives then ?????

most of the time its just a matter of waking up the bios to realize things are changing :4-dontkno

regards

joe

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you tried changing the ribbon?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey Joe, when I did as you suggested, remove the jumpers and put the drive on the very end, it booted and the primary master showed up, but when I did the same thing with the samsung drive it reconized it as the primary slave, on the very end of the ribbon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Two things then:

What happens when you do the same on the middle connector?

Have you checked that your drives jumpers are set correctly, with the master in the middle and the slave on the end?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here's what i did.... I left the western digital as master and the samsung as slave and it read both of them, for some reason it decided to work. I didn't want the samsung as slave until after I copied my info off of the western digital. I am about to use super win pe to save my information.I just tried slax, but that couldn't create and folders to move info around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.