Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
797 Posts
I have an HP m8530f media center. My pc won't boot. It won't detect the hard drive.....any help??

After some threads about the same issue, and the error code BioHD2 that I'm getting, looks like the drive may be dead. This desktop uses a SATA hard drive. I'm possibly thinking about just purchasing a new hard drive.

I can't seem to get this hard drive out of the case either. HP makes a case that is difficult to get to the hard drive, especially the screws.

Is there anyway to retrieve data off a dead drive?

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cant get into BIOS...HP M8530F desktop

I can't get into my bios to verify if my pc detects a hard drive. Any ideas?

I've tried F1, F2, F10, ESC....and nothing works.

· TSF - Enthusiast
15,333 Posts
Re: Cant get into BIOS...HP M8530F desktop

Try clearing the CMOS either by moving the jumper or removing the battery for a

a few minutes.

Once this has been done start the PC and try Entering Setup (using F10)

· Premium Member
20,002 Posts
Re: Retrieving Data off Dead Drive

it STILL depends on what you mean by dead.

If really completely non working drive, there is nothing you can do without spending thousands of dollars.

If there is still some life in it, you might be able to slave it to another drive and recover your files.

· Registered
10,242 Posts

Does the drive spin up when power is applied?
Is it clicking or making other noise?
What is the make and model of the drive?
The techniques you will need, and the question of if it is even possible to do at home, depend on what the exact symptoms are.
Is the drive detected in BIOS?
The more information you can give us, the better chance we will be able to provide useful answers. Unfortunately there is no 'pushbutton fix' for hd issues.

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Does the drive spin up when power is applied?
Is it clicking or making other noise?
What is the make and model of the drive?
The techniques you will need, and the question of if it is even possible to do at home, depend on what the exact symptoms are.
Is the drive detected in BIOS?
The more information you can give us, the better chance we will be able to provide useful answers. Unfortunately there is no 'pushbutton fix' for hd issues.
Is it clicking or making other noise? No Noise and No clicking
What is the make and model of the drive? Seagate Barruda ST3750630AS
Is the drive detected in BIOS? Cannot get to BIOS. I cleared CMOS by pulling the battery and restarting and hitting F10 repeatedly and nothing happens. I can get to diagnostics but I get a BIOHD-2 error.

· Registered
10,242 Posts
That is a 7200.11 family drive. Get the serial number off the drive label, and go to support.seagate.com. In the lower right side of the page you will see a link to the serial number checker for 7200.11 drives, paste in your serial and see if the drive is potentially affected by the Seagate firmware bug.

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a 7200.11 family drive. Get the serial number off the drive label, and go to support.seagate.com. In the lower right side of the page you will see a link to the serial number checker for 7200.11 drives, paste in your serial and see if the drive is potentially affected by the Seagate firmware bug.
Looks like my drive is listed. My questions is with my drive not even functioning, how do I updated it with the latest firmware if that will even work? There was an option for an ISO image to create from a bootable CD but this didnt work.

My pc boots to a black screen and says:
Bad or missing command Interpreter: Command.com/p/E:256
Enter the full shell command line:_

I'm also still unable to get into the BIOS.

· Registered
10,242 Posts
Disconnect the drive and see if you can get into BIOS. Unfortunately after the drive fails, there is no way to update the firmware until the failure is fixed. It can be done at home if you collect the right cables and follow the directions. Seagate is also fixing the drives suffering from this failure at no cost and returning the data intact. If you choose the do it yourself, after repairing you still must update the firmware or it will fail again.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disconnect the drive and see if you can get into BIOS. Unfortunately after the drive fails, there is no way to update the firmware until the failure is fixed. It can be done at home if you collect the right cables and follow the directions. Seagate is also fixing the drives suffering from this failure at no cost and returning the data intact. If you choose the do it yourself, after repairing you still must update the firmware or it will fail again.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/
Disconnecting the hard drive doesn't change anything, still can't get into BIOS. I also reset the CMOS by removing the battery for several minutes. When I boot and hit F10 it goes to a black screen and states:

Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press enter.

My PC is about 3 years old, is Seagate still doing repairs on drives that old? I think the best option for me right now is to just get a new hard drive just so I can get my pc up and running and then send the drive in to Seagate, if they are still repairing these drives.

What you think? To load an OS onto a brand new hard drive I just need to use the windows CD and boot from the CD correct?

· Registered
10,242 Posts
Pretty much all you need to doAre you seeing a "press <key> to enter setup " message or sopmething like that? Common keys to get into BIOS are f2, f10, f11, and DEL some resuired two key combo like ctrl-Del You have a very short window during the boot process to press the key. Google says it is F10.

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty much all you need to doAre you seeing a "press <key> to enter setup " message or sopmething like that? Common keys to get into BIOS are f2, f10, f11, and DEL some resuired two key combo like ctrl-Del You have a very short window during the boot process to press the key. Google says it is F10.
When powered on the blue screen pops up and gives these options:

ESC-Boot Menu
F10 - Setup
F11 - Recovery
F9 - Diagnostics

hitting F10 and F11 doesn't do anything except take me to a black screen asking to choose a boot device.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.