Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I accidentlly "created a dos partition" to my primary hard drive using fdisk in dos mode. . .now my computer says "primary hard drive failure" at start up. . . does anyone know if i can still retrieve any of my data from the hard drive. . . or some how fix the hard drive so it can boot up again and be back to the way it was before the partition. i am using windows 98 and the hard drive is a seagate barracuda 20 gb 7200rpm

thanks for any info and suggestions
Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I've encountered the same problem before..what I did is, I checked for the connection cable of my hard drive. To do this, remove your PC's cover and checked if the HDD cable is properly connected to your hardisk, then try rebooting your PC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
HD failure

I tend to concure with jaymi unless you have blown it up it is a good idea to scheck the bus cables to HD DRIVE,alternatively go to the bios setup and c if it is being recognised by the system.
From there you can continue with your format stuff but remember to use the proper dos commands thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
This is a little late ,

but you should go back into fdisk from dos and see if you have overwritten the previous partition or just created a new one and set it as Active (Bootable)

If you still have both partitions, this can be found by option 4 (To check status) and option 5 (I think to switch between drives??Not sure on that one) but anyway see if you have 2 partitions showing up, only one will have Status as A which means bootable, try changing it to the other partition (if it exists) and see if that helps. If in Fdisk is shows only one partition and nothing else chances are you wiped everything when you used fdisk. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.