Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I changed the cpu in my pc, from a P4 2.53 Ghz to a P4 3E, now the issue is.

I have the Intel Active Monitor and the thing is coming very often.
I've installed a Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu LED (working full speed) with Arctic Silver 5.

When the system is idle is supposed to be at 45ºC (113ºF) but when I start running some aplications it jumps to over 67ºC (153ºF).
Ex: System idle and I start Winamp, just Winamp.

What can I do to keep it cold or is it ok the thermal behavior I'm experiencing, supposedly this cpu can go at a maximum of 69ºC.

Thanks for any considerations.

Fen

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Fenrry
My guess is that you need to do a better job on your thermal paste application between your CPU and HeatSinkFan. Using Arctic Silver 5 as Andrew0987 suggests is a good idea..it will mean 3 or 4 degree improvement, BUT it must be applied correctly or you will still have problems. See here for detailed instructions on cleaning off the old stuff and apoplying new.

Good case airflow is also important as oldmn suggests. Depending on your case airflow, I would expect to see your idle temps in the high 20s to mid 30s Centigrade(Celsius) and maybe 45 to 55 under heavy load using the Zalman 7000.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
please said:
I would expect to see your idle temps in the high 20s to mid 30s Centigrade(Celsius) and maybe 45 to 55 under heavy load using the Zalman 7000.
I don't think you would see those kind of temps on a Prescott.
My general rule on P4's

Processor state - Idle/Burn (deg C)
P4 Prescott - 45/61
P4 Northwood - 30/48
P4 Gallatin - 32/51

·
Registered
878 Posts
My prescott 3.2 runs at 35 or so idle, and 48-52 with a 75-80% constant load.

I used arctic silver 5 and a coolermaster copper heatsink/fan combo. It's miles better than that stock POS that came from intel. It didn't sit on the board quite right and never formed a tight mechanical bond with the CPU to transfer heat efficiently.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I had the same problem going from the 2.53 to a 3.2 and after several differant HSF's ended up with the stock cooler and AS5. :4-dontkno It Worked the best in that case. Had a Zalman w/AS5 on my 3.4 for a week and not only did my temps Idle @ >55C the fan ran at full speed all the time. :4-dontkno Ened up using a Hyper48 with a Thermaltake 90mm silent cat fan (the original fan was a screamer) [email protected] depending on Ambient. :sayyes: So some things do not always work the same in all situations.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, I used a way to spread the AS5 by applying it in the middle and then I spread it towards the edges, I have removed the cooler 2 times already and what I saw was total distribution with a not too tick but not too dense coat of grease, besides if I try the stock fan it will kept my pc at 55ºC on idle as now I'm getting 45ºC, I'll post a picture tomorrow if possible.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
There is more to the difference in temps besides the type of paste and heatsink used. Most is ambient room temps and temps inside the case. My old 3.2GHz P4 prescott system used to get 43C/58c (idle/load) with a thermaltake Fanless103 HS. My present system with a Dual Core P4 gets 42c/56c (idle/load) with a Thermaltake SonicTower Fanless HS. Both setups I just used the regular white HS paste.

I would check and make sure your case has adequate airflow as the above have mentioned. Try and run the system with the side cover off, to see if temps change.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It sounds like you are installing the heatsink and paste correctly. Is the CPU fan blowing down onto the heatsink?

Does the case have sufficient air flow? Front fan blowing in, rear fan blowing out, top fan blowing out.

Is there a card in the slot nearest the CPU that could block airflow.

Are there any dents or irregular surfaces on the heatsink to CPU interface? Any damage to either surface may cause higher temperatures.

Open the case and setup a room fan to blow into the case and see if your temps go down.

It could also be that the CPU is defective.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, sorry I haven't answered before, as a matter of fact I have to fix my air flow inside the case, in other words I'll be buying a new one, "Thx Intel for screewing up again", my next cpu is gonna be an AMD, I just hope they gave more accurate instructions on what do you need in order to keep the cpu under the normal temp.

I googled and I got this website explaining the needs for a fan right in front of the cpu fan and by using a small like pipe exhaust between them it will help from overheating the cpu.

Well Thx all for the help you guys lend me.

Oh, btw I was I guess I can say somehow lucky today, I found an Ipod on the park 2 blocks from my house, 20G the bad thing is that the screen was all cracked inside, anyways I will make a post about it cause I don't know what do I need to use it.

Fen

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Fenrry
You don't have to give up on your Prescott so fast. Many people here hae the same processor and cool it using simple techniques. It seems that redoing your thermal paste helped with your temps. I was a bit off on my temp estimates and thanks to crazijoe and others for supplying their first hand experience with temps. Prescotts DO run hot and that is OK as long as they don't run too hot. Many have aftermarket heatsink/fan setups that are an improvement over the stock intel HSF.
For your case as others have suggested, a common successful case fan config is to have one in front blowing in, and one or two in back blowing out in addition to the PSU fan blowing out. If you have a side fan blowing in(or just a duct with no fan is OK) or a top fan blowing out, that is all the better. Having neat internal case wiring helps the air get to the parts it needs to, so you can try to improve airflow there. Also if your case has restrictive fan grills, a common modification is to cut them out using tin snips and replacing them with the low-restriction wire types. I have done this dozens of times. This isn't for everyone and cases can be purchased that are already cool-and-quiet ready, but modding your case can be fun and a source of great pride for a job well done.

Keep us posted with your progress and good luck :sayyes:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The stock Intel HS/fan will work quite well if applied correctly. The best thing to do on the stock HS/fan is remove the mud they call heat sink compound and use a quality paste.
Intel does have certain case guidelines to ensure adequate cooling of the cpu and I'm sure AMD does too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Oh hya, pls don't take me wrong, I'm just pissed, instrucctions about the new thermal specs should be included with the cpu itself or at least a sticker in yellow as a warning, anyways, thanks for all the info, about the stock fan, nah, my Zalman does the work a lot better, the stock fan will keep the system at 50º~ on idle even with AS5, I'll preffer my Zalman, I know the stock fan doesn't make too much of a difference with the Presscott but still a few degrees are better than none, I just need a new case, so I'll be dumping my Middle tower for a Full case, the extra fans I guess are more than a need on this cpu type, when the case is open actually it can stay on a lower temp, but with everything close I can use it as a heather (Literally!!!!) it really get's hot inside, specially around Hard drives and close to my VC and CPU, anyways I'll post the picture during this weekend.

Thanks all !!!! :laugh:

Fen

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
but my dream case (i hope santa hears me) is a cooler master Praetorian 730
I love case with the 120 mmm blow hole out the top of the case / heat rises

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.