Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently upgraded my P4C800 deluxe with the new P4 3,4 GHz (Prescott).
(upgrading from a 2,6 GHz Northwood which was running fine)
My problem is that the new processor will only boot at 2,8 GHz. So far I haven't found a way to get it running with 3,4 GHz. I use all new drivers and, certainly, the latest bios version (1020 beta).
I only found a link at Intel concerning that problem:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-008619-prd483.htm

This would mean that the P4C800 deluxe doesn't meet the specifications of the Prescott, but ASUS says it does (which was the reason for purchasing the new Prescott).
I would be glad if anyone could help.

Greetings

·
Registered
66 Posts
man...

nothello said:
Hi,

I recently upgraded my P4C800 deluxe with the new P4 3,4 GHz (Prescott).
(upgrading from a 2,6 GHz Northwood which was running fine)
My problem is that the new processor will only boot at 2,8 GHz. So far I haven't found a way to get it running with 3,4 GHz. I use all new drivers and, certainly, the latest bios version (1020 beta).
I only found a link at Intel concerning that problem:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-008619-prd483.htm

This would mean that the P4C800 deluxe doesn't meet the specifications of the Prescott, but ASUS says it does (which was the reason for purchasing the new Prescott).
I would be glad if anyone could help.

Greetings
have u upgrate the bios........ ? and there 's some easy way to set ur CPU speed to work Faster in the systems Bios..
My 3.2 = 200mhz
3.4 = 212 mhz should be fine

and u can make it work even faster with a super heatsink... (overclocking).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, but my problem is that the multiplier is locked to
14. for the full clock of 3,4 ghz the multiplier has to be 17.
i want to run my processor at 3,4 ghz with fsb 200 mhz and i don't wanna overclock. i'm just looking for a way to set the multiplier to 17 to reach
"real" 3,4 GHz without overclocking

Greetings

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just built a new system yesterday, having the same issue.

Asus P5AD2-E Premium
P4 550 3.4 GHz
ATI 700x Pro
74GB WD Raptor
300 GB MAxtor Diamond Max 10

System seems to be running hot, monitor lost sync a few times and I think it was b/c the video card is too hot, CPU is running at 120-125 degrees F, and will only clock at 2.8 GHz, Multiplier won't go higher than 14.

I read somewhere that suggested Flashing the BIOS, trying to get the bios now, but ASUS site is lagging.

Please let me know if you figured out the problem. Thanks.

Brian

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I think the only thing Asus' across-the-board BIOS updates did, was to allow the mobos to recognize the Prescott CPU identifcation codes. This lets you plug one in, but unfortunately it doesn't guarantee it can run at speed. Based on the known Intel link you referenced, that's a problem of the circuit layouts, groundplanes, length of traces, etc. required by the 90nm processor technology, on the physical mobo itself.

Asus clearly put a lot of effort into making sure the power systems on these mobos would meet Prescott specs which Intel had published, and if I had to guess, power and CPU ID was likely the only thing Asus thought they needed to do, to "support" Prescotts. My guess is the 2.8GHz fallback limit was a shocking surprise, and one that there is no software fix for.

Unless they re-layout the mobos (which they likely won't do, as it would reset their testing by many months when they need to focus their efforts on newer technologies) I don't think they'll be able to fix this. All the mobos in the series were laid out well before real Prescotts hit the shelves. I've maintained Asus ought to invest in re-layout of 1 or 2 of their most popular models, but not bother with all of them. But I doubt Asus listens to lil' 'ol me. :wink:

Best bet if you have one of the mobos introduced in the previous 1.5 years, is to use a Northwood processor, not a Prescott. Northwood's all the way up to the full 3.2GHz seem to run fine in these boards, and everyone who's reported this problem here, who's come back again after swapping to the less-expensive Northwood's, has reported success.

BTW, I've heard that side-by-side comparisons show Northwood's (say, 2.8GHz for argument's sake) will outperform equivalent-speed Prescotts, due to additional pipelining and other design changes in Prescott. Whether you can see this difference or not, depends on the specific tests used, and in certain applications a Prescott will begin to outperform Northwood... assuming you don't hit the 2.8Ghz barrier.

Just my opinion,

-clintfan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you, clintfan

Although the things you wrote are a little discouraging to me I won't give
up hope that there will be a solution and I can see my prescott hit 3,4 GHz.
I'm still waiting for the answer of the Asus support I contacted a week
ago (seems I'm not the only one having trouble :).
Is there an official statement of ASUS concerning that issue?

Thanks again
and greetings

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Is there an official statement of ASUS concerning that issue?
I searched again, but could not find an Asus statement, though I'm not very surprised I couldn't. Intel has the only official statement I've seen so far, so we're putting a lot of weight on Intel's statement.

-clintfan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a P4C800 and a P4C800-E. Both would only recognize 3.2 instead of 3.6. I flashed both bios to 1018 and the older P4C800 posted 3.6, the -E still 3.2. I can automatically overclock it 10% 3.51, but I don't know what the impact on my already overclock GEforce 6800U OC (BFG). The machine locked once I tried the 20%. It makes me think I should have gone with another board. I used up to the latest beta on ASUS and still no good. Before I finish my new machine, I want to fix this right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

It' true that the Precott's are unlocked since Bios 1018, but this only means that you can decrease the multiplier.

An example:

3,4 GHz Prescott would mean a multiplier of 17. The unlock feature lets you set the multiplier down to 16, 15 and 14 which will lower your CPU
clock to 3,2 3,0 and 2,8 GHz. So you can raise your FSB without reaching
astronomic CPU clock frequencies (heat!). So this feature is interesting for
overclockers.

My Problem is that due to Intel's safety feature my Prescott 3,4 GHz is
locked to multiplier 14 from the beginning. I haven't found a way to let it
run with the default multiplier of 17 to reach the 3,4 GHz I spent the money for.

Greetings

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

actually I'm thinking about changing back to Northwood (assuming that prescott was a step forward :grin: ) but I'll wait for the "official answer"
of the asus support. They keep me waiting for almost 2 weeks now.
Looking forward to christmas helps me to calm down. :grin:

Greetings

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changed out the Processor

I was going to buy the ABIT IC7-Max3, but before I did, I picked up a 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition. After my wife kicked my a*s, I put it in my P4C800-E using 1019, and the darn thing is running at 3.4??? Processor BX80532PG3400FSL7CH. I just happened to notice on the box that is says 1.575V Max. Just for Ha, Ha's, I checked my voltage in the hardware monitor, it was at 1.536V. On the PC that my 3.6 was working on, the voltage was 1.328. (On that machine, the voltage was running low causing my ATI video card to freak out).
Bottom line, I wonder if the power supply could have something to do with the motherboard and the processor. It's a long shot, (I've tried every other darn thing). I'm going to put the 3.6 back in and swap power supplies. I'll let you know.
JMTrisko

Okay, maybe it was a bad idea, but it just gets aggravating. My 3.6 still registers 3.2 no matter what. I put all of the same hardware in the new case, and still only 3.2. I put the 3.6 back in the old P4c800 (non-E) and it runs at 3.6. The revision on the non-e is 1.03. The new E is Rev 2.0.

I'm going to get a new motherboard for my daughters machine and put the 3.6 in that. I'm planning on keeping the non-e in a machine with a 3.0Ghz. If you can't get a resolution from ASUS, I would be happy to swap P4C800 boards with you. All I need is the 3.0.

Well, now I have 3 machines apart, I better stop f-ing around before I destroy a thousand dollar processor for a 189.00 board. I'll have the Motherboard out this weekend.

Be well,
JMTrisko :dead:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jmtrisko said:
Okay, maybe it was a bad idea, but it just gets aggravating. My 3.6 still registers 3.2 no matter what. I put all of the same hardware in the new case, and still only 3.2. I put the 3.6 back in the old P4c800 (non-E) and it runs at 3.6. The revision on the non-e is 1.03. The new E is Rev 2.0.
Be well,
JMTrisko :dead:
Hi,

my P4C800 Deluxe (non-E) is revision 1.03 too. So I'm beginning to think that my PSU is the reason for locking the CPU at 2,8 GHz. Maybe I'll try changing
PSU.
Thanks and
Greetings

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Okay....just out of curiosity then...does anyone know where to get a 3.4Ghz northwood and is the general concensous that a 3.4 prescott will work in a P4C800-E deluxe rev. 1.XX...I ask because I would like to upgrade my processor...and the northwoods are hard to find and expensive, but the pressy is not to bad...my rig is listed below.....any advice would be appreciated
twajetmech

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.