Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Compaq Presario V5000 which I only bought a few months back. It was fine at first but I had a little incident where because someone switched off the laptop by pressing the power button during startup the "My documents" folder became corrupt. Now I dont know if thats the cause but recently it has been running quiet slow. It doesnt freeze but just just takes a while to run/load things. Just yesterday I reinstalleed XP and it is running a bit more smoothly but is still slow compared to what it was. I guess it cant be Spyware/malware or virus because the hard drive has just been formatted (during reinstallation of the OS) I've also downloaded all the drivers for everything i could think of. Is there anything else I should check?

I've attached a full report from everest to start with.

Attachments

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

The first thing I noticed on your report was that your AMD Turion 64 is max.1800MHz yet its only running @ 800 MHz as picked up by Everest current processor speed. Now with all that you have loaded on, and your HDD being 4200ROM that'll take a while definitely. Later on it mentions a conflicting report of CPU Clock @ 1591.59 MHz which still doesn't make complete sense to me.

Have you been tweaking things around in the BIOS here?

Go into Start>Run>Type: msconfig and under the "Startup" tab, how many processes are listed? If there's more than 6-7, disable all the ones that are not part of XP or security software and see how it runs.

What firewall/AV do you have?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

The first thing I noticed on your report was that your AMD Turion 64 is max.1800MHz yet its only running @ 800 MHz as picked up by Everest current processor speed.

Sorry to take so long to reply...

I have also noticed this. I havent tweaked the bios at all but incase somebody did, I loaded the default settings. It's still running slow. I have only 4 startups in msconfig. :4-dontkno

I have norton internet security running.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course. The clocks section under the cpu tab reads as follows:

Core speed - 795.9MHz
Multiplier - x4.0
Bus speed - 199.0MHz
HT link - 796.0MHz

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Your computer is running at 800MHz as picked up before.

There's something wrong here. Is it supposed to be a 1800Mhz that you know of?

I'm sure thats too low for a multiplier top be @ 4. It would normally be over 8.

Can you get into the Control panel>System and look fro what speeds being registered there?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
by the way kalim. I noticed something else: I've been looking at the cpu speed again and I've realised that the speed once in a while jumps (flickers) between around 800 and 1700 and the multiplier between 4, 8 and 9.
Any ideas?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi Zaine7673

Sorry I'm rather busy now at work due to the time. I hoped others may have answered by now as I'm pushed for time and space here and my minds elsewhere (on an op).

Can you check what the speed is being registered as in the BIOS please:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/art...ios-articles/122271-how-enter-bios-setup.html

Either there's something wrong with components here or the software is not picking the speeds up correctly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its ok now. it was the cool 'n' quiet feature that was running. simply switched it off and it seems ok now.

Thanks

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Ok. Keep us posted if it changes :smile:

For information...

AMD Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology
In the past, increased processor performance has often meant increased power consumption and increased noise levels. AMD's Cool'n'Quiet™ technology is an innovative solution available on AMD Athlon™ 64 processor-based systems that can effectively lower the power consumption and enable a quieter-running system while delivering performance-on-demand

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.