Tech Support banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember the Compaq Presario SR1620NX? I'm replacing the hard drive, which seems to install through the front panel. There are four plastic tabs through the metal chasis at the bottom of the panel but I can't see how to get the top end loose.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
Came with XP. Won't support Windows 10 with any acceptable performance. Linux a good free suggestion by Oscar. If there is an OS choose Restore. If not, you either have to buy an XP disc or if you have a COA, call Microsoft for assistance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the help. It says "designed for XP" on a front panel sticker. I gave up on one xp system years ago because it didn't support the Internet. I guess the same applies here. I used to use Unix but have never tried it on a pc. Looks like that is the only practical solution for this machine. Any suggestions on a Linus boot disk?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is there a reason why you are wanting to put time and money into this machine? Not being critical - I have one of these and also 3 Dell gray face machines with new installs of XP ready to go. The reason I have them is for connecting to older laser printers with a serial cable and a couple customers have older commercial sign printers which only work with XP. The problem with an old machine is that it's old. Are the capacitors OK? Look for swollen tops leaking a dried brown rust-like substance. If you see swollen capacitors, trash the thing.

Your computer probably has a Microsoft label with a serial number that shows which version of XP it is licensed for. If you do not have the original recovery software, you can download the appropriate version and make sure it's Service Pack 3. XP install iso's can be downloaded and burned to disk. Be warned.... your video and not look right, audio and network may not work initially but the correct manufacturers' drivers are online somewhere. You will need to use another computer to get at least the LAN driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts