Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had the presario for a little over a year (of course just beyond the HP warranty) and the laptop and battery have been great. There has been no signs of fading battery life or anything until this week...

Normally when the battery life is low/exhausted and I try to power on the laptop it will beging to recover from hibernation. XP will start and then go right back to hibernation b/c of the low battery charge. This week i noticed that the laptop wouldnt tur on at all and no lights on the machine would come on. I plugged it in for a night and then the next day when i unhooked the AC cord the laptop imediately (no hibernation) went dead...

When i go into power options, it looks like the battery is there with a 7% charge. Ive been monitoring the charge the past day and it doesnt increase or dcrease, and again as soon as I unplug the AC cord the laptop goes dead...

I've reset the battery but still no luck. Im not sure what brought this on so suddenly or how to fix it, any ideas?

Thank You for reading.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
hi Carey2717,

please correct me if my understanding of the problem is off. your laptop now boots OK (not in hibernation), but battery seem to be dead (with 7% charge)... is this correct?

does the 7% charge increase as you keep AC plugged in? if not you could be looking at a dead battery and the 7% may somehow be a wrong reading of the operating system which happens sometimes.

it is best if you have a spare battery to test with your computer or test your battery on another similar laptop. this way you will know if it is the battery or something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When connected to AC power the laptop works fine. If you check the battery status it shows 7% (never increase or decreases). As soon as you unplug the AC power the laptop immediately dies (completely powers off without the hibernation sequence).

In short the laptop behaves as though i dont have a battery connected, but the power console shows a battery at 7%

Any more advice?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.