Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a Presario 2100 AMD, the plug or pin that the AC adapter connects to is on the fritz. The laptop gets moved around a fair bit, with the AC attached.

It's gotten so bad that it's hit-or-miss if the AC actually works (and if the battery's low _and_ the AC is on the fritz at the same time, well, then I sit looking at a black screen until I fiddle with the AC connector enought to find the right, magical, position).

Is this something I can fix?

If not, who should I take it to (it's out of warranty)? What are the likely costs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
This sounds like a broken solder joint or a broken power connector. To fix this, the laptop has to be opened. Next look at the power plug. If it is broken it must be replaced. If not, resoldering the plug should fix it.

If you are not handy with a soldering iron, I would take it to someone else. If you need a replacement plug, they are available on the internet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for advice.

Am tryin to open Presario case. Taken out all the screws I can see, but the bottom doesnt come off. Must be some hidden. Any ideas?

T

·
0 Posts
If you take a pencil can you move the center pin around. Normally they have little play. Can move a 1/4 inch or more.
If you can, yes it is possible to solder back on, you shouls use no higher wattage then 12watt soldering iron with a gounded tip ( 3 prong plug ) and a realy fine tip. More then likely it will break again and the only way to realy fix is to replace the mainboard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.