Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a problem that has been bugging me for a while. About four months ago, I was given a presario laptop. Little was I told, it wouldn't boot.
At first I assumed it was because they tried to flash the bios and something had happened. As is, no parts removed, the computer will power on and freeze shortly after shadowing of the video and system bios. I'm unable to boot from the cd drive or the floppy.

However, tonight I removed the hard drive to see if I could see what was on it with my desktop (hurray for adapters). On a whim, I powered on the laptop with the hard drive out and something ... odd happened. It didn't freeze.
I'm able to boot from the floppy and cdrom without the hard drive in. Is it possible that a faulty hard drive could cause the entire boot process to work... rather not work, as it did, or is there an problem that I've overlooked entirely?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi

I had a similar problem recently. harddrive would nt boot in the laptop but would in a tower. bootdisks would load fine to ram to run spinrite etc but no os disks would boot. long story short ened up replacing the motherboard. Worked fine till I put the screw back in that held the hdd caddy cover.. For some reason it was causing a slight twist in the chassie and stopping the boot dead. leave the screw out it booted fine. The motherboard was definetly the problem , the screw just gave that extra problem.

Ric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shortly after this post, I tried to access the removed hard drive by my windows computer. I was unable to boot with the HD. Scavenging my pile of parts, I harvested a tiny (2GB >< ) HD from an old dell laptop I had, the system is booting and running fine now.
I assume, safely so I think, my entire problem can be traced back to the hard drive. Since I am -now- on the laptop posting this reply. Thanks for the comments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.