Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Mandrake 9.0 for a while now and I've always used wvdial to connect. I'm shifting to Gentoo. Did the installation from Mandrake, but I'm now booting into Gentoo and trying to connect to the net using wvdial.

I set up /etc/wvdial.conf with the same settings I use in Mandrake, but after it sent the username and password and starts pppd, it disconnects almost immediately, stating something about a modem hung up (error code = 16)

Here's the entries in my log file:

Apr 13 16:35:04 [pppd] pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Apr 13 16:35:04 [pppd] Using interface ppp0
Apr 13 16:35:04 [pppd] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tts/1
Apr 13 16:35:04 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already up
Apr 13 16:35:06 [pppd] Hangup (SIGHUP)
Apr 13 16:35:06 [pppd] Modem hangup
Apr 13 16:35:06 [pppd] Connection terminated.
Apr 13 16:35:06 [pppd] Exit.

I've copied the /etc/wvdial.conf file and the /etc/ppp folder from my Mandrake installation to gentoo, but I still get the same error.

Any ideas of what might be the cause of this? Its driving me insane!

·
Registered
711 Posts
From what I can see in the logs, it appears that hotplug is interferring with your setup. I'm not sure why its even being invoked since the module has to be built for your modem to work otherwise it wouldn't dial up to begin with. I'd start by disabling hotplug support and see where that takes you and go from there. I have a feeling hotplug is causing a SIGHUP to be sent to the modem in order to freeup interface ppp0 which is your dial interface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I first posted here, I discovered that my mandrake installation had an older version of wvdial. I made a copy of my gentoo wvdial binary and replaced it with the one that came from mandrake. Everything worlks fine now.

Gentoo seems to use shared libs (wvstream, I guess) while a locate on mandrake doesn't show up anything. I guess they either statically linked it to the executable in mandrake or maybe its just a much different version. Just interesting.

Thanks - I'll look into this hotplug thing. Curious as to what its supposed to do.

·
Registered
711 Posts
well hot **** :) glad to have another linux guy in the house !!! w00t w00t ... I was starting to feel lonely surrounded by a sea of redhat and mandrake users hehe ... I'm kidding! Anyways hotplug does USB device detection.. plug and play for linux basically.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's funny, because (while I do have a usb mouse), I have a serial modem. Don't know why hotplug is interfering.

I do have a very custom (gentoo sources) kernel compiled with anything I thought looks interesting, but I doubt if its that, because the stock kernel that came with the liveCD (some isolinux bootup cd to install gentoo) gave the same problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.