Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a system with an AT power supply. I installed a new HDD because it had numerous bad sectors. I installed and formatted the drive. I then went to install Win95 and the system would not power up. The fan was running but nothing else would run. I ordered a new AT 250watt power supply. After I installed that supply the same thing happened. I then took the power supply out of the system and shorted the power switch with an old working HDD connected and the HDD would not power up. I assume that this supply is dead now that I have extensively tested it with a multimeter. I then took an Ohmmeter and connected one terminal to the case "ground" and proceeded to touch the meters other terminal to the individual pins designated for power on all attached drives. Each pin on every drive was reading 0 ohms. This puzzles me because it would not make sense for all those pins to be grounding. Are my drives cooked? Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you,
Rusty Burchfield

S

·
0 Posts
Try checking the 110/220 switch on the back of the power supply and make sure it is set to 110...:)

If it is the next step would be to remove everything out of the case and set it up outside of the case.

Put the motherboard on a phonebook or something.

And hook up just the following items.

CPU, Heatsink and Fan

Ram.

Power Supply

Video card.

Monitor to the video card.

We are talking AT power supply right?

Make sure that when you plug the two connectors from the power supply to the motherboard that the black wires are side by side.

See if you get a screen of any kind this way....:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is an AT power supply... I will try that and get back to you. Right now I only have that new power supply that I think is dead but I will test it with that and if that does not work I will have to go out and buy another new one to test with.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No luck. The power supply fan and proc fan ran but there was no bios load. I will pickup an AT PS at a local reseller tommorow. At which point I will test it and reply back here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.