Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 weeks now my laptop has been randomly switching from Adapter power mode to battery mode. I would have to unplug my adapter cord from the back on my laptop and plug it back in for it to turn back to adapter mode. If I take out the battery the computer just turns off since there is no battery mode to switch to. There seems to be a problem with my laptop getting the power it needs from the adapter.

At first i thought there might be a Adapter problem, but when my laptop is off the battery charge light comes on but when i turn on my laptop that when it randomly swiches to battery mode. Sometime it stays on for an hour sometime only 3 secs, then i would have to unplug and re-plug the adapter again. Please help me i really need to fix this problem.

Can viruses cause this? Do i need a new Adapter/battery? (havent changed any since i bought laptop 3 years ago)

Specs: Compaq R3000, P4 HT 3.0ghz, 512 ram, ATI 128mb 9600

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem and it has been getting increasingly worse. It appears that my model number is the same also - Compaq Presario R3000 laptop. I also thought it may be the adapted, but when poered off it seems to charge fine. I also noticed that two of my side USB ports have stopped working - well, they work partially; for example my thumb drive lights up, but the computer will not recognize it. This all started happening recently so it appears to be a virus of some sort. I am running McAfee and run scans regularly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the exact same problem and it has been getting increasingly worse. It appears that my model number is the same also - Compaq Presario R3000 laptop. I also thought it may be the adapted, but when poered off it seems to charge fine. I also noticed that two of my side USB ports have stopped working - well, they work partially; for example my thumb drive lights up, but the computer will not recognize it. This all started happening recently so it appears to be a virus of some sort. I am running McAfee and run scans regularly.
Wow now that you mention it my USB ports on the left side as been acting up lately, they still work but once in a while it will act up. I really hope its just a virus or something because i cant afford to fix this now. If i dont get anywhere im gonna system restore and if this problem still excist then ill have to do something about it.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to the Compaq support site. They had a suggestion to try powering up the laptop wiothout the battery. When I did this I seem to have the same sporadic trouble. So it may be the adapter. I think I may try to purchase a new one. They are $80 from compaq but I saw them on ebay much cheaper. I suppose a power issue could also affect the USB ports. We'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the Compaq support site. They had a suggestion to try powering up the laptop wiothout the battery. When I did this I seem to have the same sporadic trouble. So it may be the adapter. I think I may try to purchase a new one. They are $80 from compaq but I saw them on ebay much cheaper. I suppose a power issue could also affect the USB ports. We'll see.
When i tried to power up my comp w/o the battery it would shut off, becus its no battery to support when the adapter swith off. i dunno...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did some more research on line and it appears that this is a common issue with the R3000. It appears to be a result of a broken connection inside the machine that needs to be re-soldered.

Please see the following links (scroll down on both pages to see pertinent content)...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50946-2-compaq-presario-r3000-power-cord-issue

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7182/compaq_presario_r3000_notebook_review.html

I guess I need to find someone to help me with this...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same laptop, R3000, and mine has been doing this recently as well. I am, however, inclined to believe that it is a software issue. I would guess that if it were a loose connection or a broken solder point inside, that wiggling and moving the power cord around (where it plugs into the laptop) would cause the laptop to switch to battery, but it doesn't, it's completely random. Also, if it were a loose connection, I would think that simply wiggling it around again (after it's gone to battery power) would force it to make a connection and switch back to AC power. The fact that it is random, has nothing to do with moving the laptop or power cord around, and that you 'have' to unplug it and plug it back in to get the power working again suggests that it isn't a hardware problem. Of course, I could be wrong.

I believe the USB ports on the right side of my laptop aren't functioning correctly, and I can't see that having anything to do with the power jack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well my issue seems to be resolved. I took out the battery and it worked fine all day. I reformatted, I have the battery back in and it's working just fine. Compaq tech support also got back to me. I'll post their suggestions here, for anyone else having this problem. Hope it helps.

Bios update: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp30001-30500/sp30397.exe
Please do not click the link, copy and paste the entire link in a new browser and click enter.

If by downloading and installing the above driver doesn't resolve the issue, then perform the below steps

Step-1: Enable Always On in Power Management:
) Click Start and select Control Panel. 2) Double Click on the Power Options. 3) Select the Power Schemes Tab. 4) Select the Always On option from the drop down Box. 5) Click Apply, Hit Ok and Exit the Screen. 6) Restart the system for the changes to take effect.

Step 2 : Reinstall power Management: 1. Click start -> Select Run -> Type devmgmt.msc -> Click Ok. 2. Click the plus (+) sign next to System Devices. 3. Right-click the ACPI Fixed Features button and select Uninstall. 4. Restart the system. On restarting the system, Windows will automatically detect and install Power Management on the computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.