Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was reading a post regarding a faulty possible power switch, or connectors wrongly connected. I just hooked up my connections today and I was happy when I saw the article related to the power connections. My connections are the same, yet the color of the wires are different. This may be related to being from a different manufacturer. My case is a XaserIII, and I would like some clarification regarding those connections please.

My power sw is blue/white, the speaker connection is the same, HDD led is red/white, reset sw is green/black. I basically followed the same diagram you laid out by plugging the white side into the grounds. I am guessing that the positive side represented by different colors on my connections would serve the same functions as the other colored connections?

·
Registered
40 Posts
yep, they should. Also it wont damage anything if u try it and it ends up being backwards. it will switch on and every, u just wont have the power and harddrive LEDs on.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I am guessing that the positive side represented by different colors on my connections would serve the same functions as the other colored connections?
Yes I think you could say that. But there are no color standards in case wiring, AFAIK. I think you are saying, for example where one case's HDD LED might use blue and white, but another case's HDD LED uses white and green... then if we assume blue is positive and green is positive, then yes, in this example blue serves the same purpose as green. In terms of which of these, blue, green, white, etc. wires is actually positive, I can't say. Usually only the LED's matter.

My power sw is blue/white, the speaker connection is the same, HDD led is red/white, reset sw is green/black. I basically followed the same diagram you laid out by plugging the white side into the grounds.
Right. Somebody else told me the whites were the grounds, and I think it turned out that way here too.

The LED's are polarized, but fortunately with only 2 choices, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. So stick a disk in the floppy drive (to prevent booting all the way to OS till you're done). Try the power LED connectors one way, leave the HDD LED disconnected. Power up. If it lights, you got it right: yay! Now power off. If it didn't light, reverse the connector. Now hook up the hard disk LED the same way. Power up and recheck that both LED's work. You're done.

Don't run an LED too long with it attached wrong, you can blow it out.

If you want to get scientific with the LED's, you would either need to pull the LED out and have a look at it (positive appears to go to the little electrode visible inside the plastic, negative to the larger electrode); or figure it out with a beeper light (it's a diode, after all). But even knowing which is which, you still need to also know which mobo pin is positive. So I say, just do the 50/50 method.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.