Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Looks as if you will be upgrading-
 The Power Desktop Computer Class is similar to the Standard desktop plus more demanding gaming usage, plus one can explore the option of overclocking with this unit. The computer would include numerous Hardware upgrades with multiple drives and a more powerful CPU paired with a fuller featured motherboard. The power desktop computer class is best suited with a 600-750 watt PSU of high quality construction.

Those who choose this class computer should have a dual core CPU with ONE dedicated video card up to and including any single engine video card an the market demanding up to 125 watts. This would include the Nvidia 8800 GTS or the ATI 4850 video card. The Power Desktop Computer Class will run some medium power dual video cards, but are not intended to run dual 8800 GTX or dual ATI 4850 video cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have one question, the one i just showed is 550 watts. The one i showed in my first post is 500 watts. Between these 2 there is a difference but 30$. Does it REALLY make a big change if i get the 90$ one sonce there is only a 50 watt differnce...

Also, if i keep the current system i have now, will the first PSU (500 watts one) be powerful enough?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
My best advice, go with the 650W. That insures you are good for now and will allow for some future upgrading.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
alright so its a no-go for this one ?

what about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
I always go bigger in a power supply and do recommend you do that if possible to allow for future upgrades. However, there are times that money does hamper what you want to do and you have to do what is necessary.

That being said, the one you have listed (Corsair 550) is a great power supply and it will easily will run what you have in the way of a video card. That one you have given the link to could most likely permit you to upgrade your video card (limited) some in the near future.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
never skimp on a power supply it can mean the difference between an upgrade and a complete new system. Cheap ones die quickly and if there a dodgy brand tend to take everything with them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I went to Order the Corsair 550 but i ran into a prob.....I'm in Canada and this was for USA only. So i looks for it on the Canadian site and saw it was 100$....so what i figured what to get an other corsair. I came upon this one : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003 and I think it is alright for a TEMPORARY upgrade as i will be getting a new machine soon. I just want to be able to play games and watch HD videos with my Current video card working at 100% so it doesn't lag like it is right now...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Oh ok thank. I'll think about getting the SeaSonic

The only problem is that there are no Reviews on it and i do not know if it is a reliable brand.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
SeaSonic is one of our recommended brands. They aren't as well known as Corsair or PC Power and Cooling, but they actually make certain power supply models for Corsair and other big-name brands, and their own lines (especially the S12 and M12 series, though those are a bit more pricey) are quite good as well. That isn't one of their best units, but it's a lot better than generic or cheap name brand stuff like Ultra, Rosewill, and even mediocre brands like BFG or low-end OCZ. I'd say it's the best bang for your buck in that price range*.

* Unless you want a literal bang... In that case certain Rosewill and Huntkey PSUs are known to explode if you run them at the rated wattage. :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.